What's new

Newbie needs help with SACD (1 Viewer)

plaver

Auditioning
I have the following set-up
Sony DVD/SACD player DVPNS905V
Sony Receiver STRDB1080
Kef Speakers X5 plus Sub woofer,
The speakers are connected to the back of the receiver not the subwoofer.

I am right in middle of setting things up and I need a little advice,

I want to run the SACD sound output through the Receiver, I currently have it set-up using the Audio out (red/white) leads going into the SACD/LD connection on the receiver, Using this connection I can only get 2 channel stereo and I want the full 5:1. Can I use the speaker out of the DVD/SACD player??. There is one connection for each speaker position. I don't know which one of the several sets of speaker connections to connect to on the back of the receiver has anybody done this or know if its OK and what connections do I use. Many thanks in advance.

Best regards
Peter Laver

dave alan

Second Unit
Plaver,

Just connect the 5.1 analog outputs of your player to the Sony receiver's 5.1 analog inputs using 6 RCA cables.

I don't know the analog bass management capabilities of either the player or the receiver, but you should set the speakers to small and the sub to yes if either of them provides the option to in 5.1 analog mode.

Make sure you select 5.1 multichannel output in the player's menu. Sony players usually list this as 'Digital and 5.1 ch output'.

Select the receiver's 5.1 ch analog bypass (or whatever Sony calls the analog 5.1 circuit), and play your multichannel SACD disc.

Make sure you are playing a multichannel SACD disc. The best ones to buy are labeled 'Hybrid Multichannel'. These have 2 layers. One is the Redbook CD version, which will play on any CD player, and the other is the multichannel mix which will only play on a SACD MC capable player.

If it's your first listen to SACD multichannel...enjoy! The sound is superb on nearly every SACD MC disc I own.

Let us know how it turned out.

Skyler

Stunt Coordinator
True. Also, you will need an optical "toslink" or Digital Coax cable hooked to a digital input on the receiver for watching DVD's.

plaver

Auditioning
Thanks guys for your help, I'll get me some more leads, this set-up is costing me a fortune, one other question what's the difference between a Phono (RCA) lead and a Monaural lead.

Thanks again for your advice guys

Best Regards
Peter Laver

Derek*k

Auditioning
The number of cables. Monaurals will probably be a single cord, and the other will be a stereo pair...essentially the mono cable glued to another mono cable.

You can use either...just see which is more cost effective.

plaver

Auditioning
Fitted all the 5:1 cables from DVD to back of the Sony amp, I now have 5:1 SACD and DSOTM by Pink Floyd now sounds even better.

Thanks for all your help guys

Same setup goes for DVD-Audio, 6 -RCAs for the 5.1 multi-channel input. Goto Best Buy and ask the closest 16 year old salesman how exactly to set it up, see what happens :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks