Newbie needs help with rear speaker placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.Louis, Jan 16, 2003.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Oct 10, 2002
    Hi to all: I bought a house that has in-wall rear speakers installed in the rear wall of the HT room. The speakers are mounted 11 feet up a 12-foot ceiling, and are pointed directly toward the front of the room, where the TV, center, and L/R front speakers are located.

Is this an optimal location for these speakers? IYO how well will they sound in a typical 5.1 system, and what will I lose by having the rears so high and pointed to the front? Note that I cannot angle or point the tweeter more toward the listening area.

I have a choice in completing my HT system. The woofers are blown in the in-wall system, so either I replace them or buy another set of speakers that I can set-up at a lower level and to the sides (as in a typical 5.1 set-up). Your answers to my two questions above will determine whether I replace the in-walls or just o ahead and buy another cheap pair of rears that I can set lower and to the side.

thanks in advance, Mark
  2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

May 8, 2001
    it sounds like your priority is ht over aesthetics, so i would plug the holes and get some stand-alone speakers.
    some other general thoughts:
    those speakers are too high.
    in-wall speakers typically don't perform that well period.
    they do make some in-walls where you can now pivot the tweeter, so if you really want in-wall you should definitely look for those.
    also, check this link for more info about speaker placement: