Newbie Needs Help with 1st SW?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark.Louis, Nov 22, 2002.

1. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Oct 10, 2002
    Greetings...after listening to some cheaply constructed and bad sounding SWers, I have decided to construct my own. I want tight bass for audio purposes yet with enough impact to make home theater come alive. I believe a sealed design would work best for me, and I am pretty set on a Shiva 12" driver with the AVA250 amp from adire.

My questions:

1. What are the sonic differences between a front-mounted driver, versus a driver mounted on the bottom and pointed toward the floor?

2. Can anyone recommend a good book on speaker/subwoofer DIY construction that focuses more on cabinet construction as opposed to driver, crossover, electrical construction? I plan to buy preassembled driver-tweeter-crossover kits and do the cabinet construction myself.

3. Does anyone have a good sealed SWer design they would like to pass along, together with steps on how they put the thing together?

4. Anyone out there care to make an argument for a vented design?

Thanks for all the help.

2. Jeremy Stockwell

Jeremy Stockwell Supporting Actor

Aug 9, 2001
    1. None, AFAIK
    2. No personal experience/knowledge here. Some would suggest a Traditional Cabinet building book as a resource for this type of question, though.
    3. Specifically for the Shiva, Here are sealed design direct from the manufacturer.
    4. Lots here will. It really depends on your application (music/HT), room size, personal preferences, etc. But a vented design can definitely get you louder, deeper bass, but not without comprimises. The enclosure generally needs to be bigger for a vented application. Also, with a hole in the box, the driver can "unload" especially under the tuning freq. Adire has good applications for the Shiva in a vented box too.
    Consider Adire's Tempest driver. The enclosures can get huge for the Tempest, especially for it's vented designs, but if you're set on going sealed, I don't think the Tempest boxes are considerably bigger.
  3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Jun 30, 1999

Brian Bunge Producer

Sep 11, 2000
    You can buy a manual from North Creek Music that has tips specific to building speaker enclosures.