newbie needs help w/speaker placement

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by danny_seibert, Dec 30, 2003.

1. danny_seibert

danny_seibert Auditioning

hello all, this is my first post! i just recently renovated a spare bedroom into a movie room. i purchased a sony projector and sony 500 watt home theater system. i've read all about what the best angle from the viewer to the speakers should be and everything, but my question is this. is there a rule of thumb as to what the best height the speakers should be at?

2. Mike_J_D

Mike_J_D Stunt Coordinator

Hello and welcome. My prefence is for the speakers to be at ear level, if they are on stands. If you are going to mount them to that wall than I would place them high and angled down or at ear level. It is up to you, which ever sounds and look best to you. There is no "written rule" but it pretty much goes without saying...your FL & FR speaker should be equal distance away from the rear wall(from the right rear corner) also same distance from the side walls and toed in so the sound crosses right in front of you (example: if your listening to a song in stereo and your speakers are set up just right it seem like the sound is coming from your TV or center channel) So your FL speaker is aimed at your right ear and FR at your left. Make sense??? Center channel below or on top of your TV. Rears well, for me at ear level when sitting, toed in like your fronts. Hope this help and isn't confusing. It is hard for me to put these instructionsin written word. Let me know if you need more info. Post a response or email me, I'll be more than happy to help. Good luck and welcome again.

Mike

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

4. John S

John S Producer

Ear level is best....

5. danny_seibert

danny_seibert Auditioning

thanks all for your help, i'm pretty sure i've got it figured out [​IMG]

6. Nick B

Nick B Stunt Coordinator

That was a great link, Chu. It covers a lot of basic ground that is helpful. Thank you.

Nick B