Newbie - needs help - speaker wire jacks

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by EYESPORTS, Feb 10, 2005.

1. EYESPORTS

EYESPORTS Agent

Building a new home (walls open). Running 12-4 and 14-4 wire for speakers as well as coaxial cable in the walls. I have always been used to seeing these terminate on walls with a wall plate/jack. The Audio/Visual guy feels that it's better to run the wire straight thru the wall - using a plate with a hole in it - and directly to the receiver and TV monitors. He feels that the less of a connection (by not using a coupling of some sort on the wall), the better - and that's how he always does it. To me, seems a bit funny having the in wall wires going directly from the cable in the wall straight to the equipment without having a jack on the wall with either banana plugs or spades (for speaker wire). Any advice??

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    I agree with your advisor – that’s the way I prefer it if at all possible. Consider, for instance, that every on-wall banana plug adds two additional connection points. If you have them at both ends, what would be a total of two connections becomes six. I don’t believe there are any “loss” issues here, but every connection point is a potential problem
    Not really. IMO the hallmark of a first-class installation is “no visible wiring.” This means your wiring should come out of the wall directly behind the equipment and speakers. What’s the point of putting in expensive wall plates that no one is going to see anyway?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. DaveHo

DaveHo Supporting Actor

I agree, skip the the wall plate jacks. Just one more thing to go wrong, not to mention the added cost.

-Dave

4. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Behind the gear, I would just run wire direct because the wire is there anywyay, so with or without the wall plate, you'll still see the wire. In VISIBLE areas, I see no problem using a plate with jacks for appearance.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Either way is fine. It'll cost you a bit more to terminate at the walls but so long as you make good connections, there's no difference in sound quality. Plus you'll be able to run a more flexible speaker wire, if that's desireable, from the outlet to your speakers. If for some reason that wire becomes damaged, just make a new length to the wall and avoid splicing. Partsexpress has these types of connectors.