Newbie needs help setting up HDTV on Mitsu WT46-805

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian Feeny, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Brian Feeny

Brian Feeny Auditioning

OK, we got a Mitsubishi Widescreen (WT46805) around Christmas time. It's HDTV ready and all, but I haven't pursued going HDTV yet.
    How much of an investment am I looking at both time and money-wise? How do you do it? Also, if anyone can recommend inexpensive equipment (I remember reading a favorable review on an RCA unit a while back), I would be much obliged.
    Oh, I should note that we have cable (as opposed to satellite).

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    First find out which stations in your area are broadcasting digitally. www.antennaweb.org will give you a good idea of what type of antenna to get.
    Second get a set top box (STB). The RCA is the cheapest of the DirecTV boxes. The HD6000 is the cheapest over all if you can get Sears to price match an internet retailer. (Internet retailers will require a programming commitment with Dishnetwork for that price while Sears will not.) This should also include the 8VSB module which allows you to pick up over the air (OTA) broadcasts. The downside is that Dish requires a satellite signal to be present so you will have to install at least an 18" dish.
    Since you have to buy an STB that will decode satellite signals anyway, just dump cable. DirecTV offer HBO HD and a demo/PPV channel. There are rumors of an HD sports network in the fall. Dish has HBO HD, Showtime HD, PPV HD and a demo channel.
    Another option is an OTA only decoder but those are rare and more expensive that the ones I mentioned. Computer based decoding of OTA signals is another option but the decoder cards are new and the software is buggy. A couple of the cards allow recording and playback of HD shows. Finally, some cities with Time Warner cable have HD STBs available to them. I don't remember seeing your city in mentioned while browsing other forums.
    Since it is new technology, it's not plug and play. It takes some tweaking. You may have to re-calibrate your TV's HD inputs (you did calibrate your TV didn't you?). Check out the HD forum atwww.avsforum.com andwww.hometheaterspot.com for the most infomation.
    -Robert

3. Brian Feeny

Brian Feeny Auditioning

OK, actually, I should mention that we have a satellite dish installed on our house (DirecTv). But the only thing it gets used for is NFL Sunday Ticket.
    So, for all intents and purposes, we are a "cable" household. Having 4 TVs really precludes us from going full satellite throughout the house. But the one setellite signal we have coming in is going to the HDTV ready TV, so maybe the RCA would work.
    Thanks for the info so far, please keep it coming.

4. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I would think you would also be able to pick up the Philly Digital channels ota which will have the majority of CBS's prime time programms in HD..Also ABC will have a number of programms in HD this fall...
    ------------------

5. Brian Feeny

Brian Feeny Auditioning

OK, so I need the RCA unit and some kind of an Antenna?

6. Joe_R

Joe_R Auditioning

Brian, First, upgrade your DirectTv receiver with a DTC-100. I have heard that Best Buy is selling them cheap ($480) making room for the Toshiba / Sony units. Second, You'll have to get the eliptical dish ($80). The oval one is only picking up the 101 sat (non-HD). The HD material comes from the 119 sat.
    As far as antenna, well, it varies. Where in Newark are you? I unfortunately have Iron Hill in my line of sight to Philly so I was only able to pick up two of the five stations. I have a RS190XR antenna with a CM 7777 preamp. Turns out I get four of five from Baltimore. The fifth, PBS, comes in once in a while. If you need an antenna, I have a CM 4228 8 bay bow-tie antenna for sale for $50 (what I paid). It's brand new. I had to buy two since the dealer didn't want to stock the other. Anyhow, I'd suggest the same pre-amp ($75) no matter what antenna you use. You'll need a mast ($15), mounting hardware($15), a grounding block and a grounding rod ($10) (unless you already have one) from Radio Shack. Get some quad shielded cable ($0.19/ft) from Home Depot as well as 8 or 10gu grounding wire ($30 bulk). Can you mount it yourself? If not, plan on spending at least $100 installation. -prices are estimates-
    Have you had the set calibrated? I had Overture ISF my 55805. Turns out that the Mits service menu settings for the 480p input are the same as the HD settings, at least for my model. This means I was able to directly apply all service menu changes from the 480p settings to the HD settings giving me a perfectly calibrated HD setting (well, very close anyway). I only needed to adjuse overscan. There is a trick to this. Someone found a way to take the std. video out from the DVD into the VCR then coax out from the VCR to the antenna input of the DTC-100. This gives you an upconverted image for geometry settings. It doesn't help color, just geometry.
    Send me an e-mail if you need help or if you want the antenna.
    Oh, channels currently on air are as follows:
    ......Philly....Balitmore
    NBC...67........59
    ABC...64........52
    CBS...26........38
    FOX...42........46
    PBS...55........42
    UPN and WB are planned for next year, at least in Baltimore. Baltimore is also on permanent antennas where as Philly is on temporary antennas in Roxborough.
    [Edited last by Joe_R on July 11, 2001 at 09:03 PM]

7. Brian Feeny

Brian Feeny Auditioning

Thanks for all of the info guys. I think I'll jold off another year or so. I wasn't aware that I was talking about getting in for $800+ on this.
    I guess I'll wait until I can get in for like $350 - $450. A shame, really. I can see why it's taking a while for this thing to "Catch-on" across the US.
    BTW, Joe_R, I am located near University Plaza (I-95 and Rt 273), so when the time comes, I'm pretty sure I'll have a clear shot at Philly.