1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie Needs Help Selecting HDTV

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred DeGrandis, Apr 3, 2001.

1. Fred DeGrandis

Fred DeGrandis Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,
    I am in need of some help deciding what HDTVs to look at when I go to my home theater store next week. I am new to all of this, so I have picked out 2 sets based on the audioreview sie. The first set I am looking at is the Mitsubishi WT-46805, and the second set is the Toshiba 40h80. Are these good sets for the buck? Should I hold off and save up more money and get a different set? Are there other sets you can recommend? As I said I am totaly new to this and any help would be great. Also, What are the hidden costs to this TV. I am aware that to optimize DVD viewing, you have to buy a Progressive scan player, and I plan to do that later. What about a HD tuner, right now I have Direct TV with the tivo built in? will that work, do I need to buy a new reciever too? If so what does that cost? The musts of whatever TV you recommend are a 16:9 screen, and 1080 resolution. I believe in all HD sets that there is no scan lines, is this true? I watch about 25% DVD movies, and the rest of my viewing is through Direct Tv. Currently I am using a 32inch Sony Wega, do you think it is worth the upgrade? Can I get a better deal for an HD set in Canada, I drove to get my Paradigms, and That was well worth it. Do any of these have a better warrenty than another?
    Please help me, and Thanks in advance, Fred
    ------------------
    View" TARGET=_blank>www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=FDBOWIE">View FDBOWIE's DVD Collection

2. Jerry_L

Jerry_L Auditioning

Fred:
    You have asked a lot of questions. let me try to answer your questions with out going into a lot of detail (if I can):
    1. If you have the room and can afford a bigger TV, buy the biggest one you can so there are no regrets down the road. Since you are already investing a lot of money in a HD big screen but the biggest one that you can.
    2. TV Brand: Pioneer Elite is the best but at a high price tag about $7.5k for its 64" 16:9. Mitsubishi's Diamond Series (their top of the line)is very good. The picture is very sharp but about $1000 more than Mitsubishi's platinum Plus Series. Platinum Plus is very good TVs at a very good price point. This might be your best bet. Toshiba's not bad either. I own a Sony 61" KP61HS10 and I am not impressed with the DirectTV picture quality. It is not as sharp as Mitsubishi or Pioneer. Sony is coming out with its next generation HD-Ready TV this August. Maybe these will be better. To rank 16:9 wide screen TVs, the order will be Pioneer Elite, Mitsubishi diamond Series, Mitsubishi Platinum/Platinum Plus Series, Toshiba. Mitsubishi only makes HD big screen TVs so all their R&D is in developping HDTVs. I
    3. You want to buy a HD TV with at least 2 HD component inputs (1 for HD decoder and the other for progresive DVD player). There are component inputs that are not HD, so be careful.
    4. Right HD programming is limited, therfore, to buy a decoder box now might be an expensive proposition. I bought one and paid $800 for it (sony's SAT-HD100) I like it but I have to admit for the price is steep right now. If your fund is limited, I would spend this money to buy a bigger TV and hold off on the decoder until there is more programming. Plus, the box will get cheaper.
    5. If you are watching mostly DirectTV, you might want to consider buying a 4:3 HDTV, as most programming are in this format right now. But as more HD programming comes to air, 16:9 will be the way to go. couple of considerations. If, you do buy a 4:3, go with at least 61" (if your room or budget allows it)because in 16:9 mode the picture size will equivalent to an 55" 16:9 picture size. If you buy a smaller 4:3 TV, the 16:9 picture will be small and for future purposes, it will not be worth it. On the other hand, if you buy a 16:9 TV, then it is future proof. But for now, to watch 4:3 programming the picture will be smaller because it has to fit vertically in the narrower screen (there will be a black bar on both sides of the
    picture when watching in 4:3 mode). Right now, 4:3 TVs are cheaper than 16:9, you'll have to decide what is best for you not only now but for the future.
    6. To have a true home theater to watch movie with full Dolby Digital(DD) or DTS sound you'll need a DD or DTS receiver and 5 speakers and a subwoofer. the 5 spearker with an subwoofer is also known as 5.1 confiuration the .1 being the sub and the 5 represents the 5 speakers. Prices for the receiver and speaker have a huge range. Receiver from around $300 to $3,000 and up. Speakers from few hundread to thousands of dollars. You have to decide how much you can spend and how good of a sound you want. Your wallet decides it. But to give you some brands to check out and in the order of my preference in the reasonable price range. Receivers: Denon, Yamaha, Sony, Onkyo, Harmon Kardon, Kenwood. I don't have much info on Speakers as I have owned only two brands, Atlantic technologies and B&W. B&W makes great speakers. Obviously I am bias torwards them as I own them. You'll just have to listent to them and choose what you like at the price you can afford.
    Good luck and happy shopping!!
    Jerry

3. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

I agree with the previous post in all his comments. I liked the ranking of the tv sets. I bought a Toshiba 56H80 16 by 9 I am relatively happy with the set. While I believe the Mits Hitachi and pioneer elite are better I bought for price. The sets cost more in Canada the Toshiba was 5,000 and the Pioneer elite almost %7,000.00 I must say I am impressed with the Mits that is not sold in Canada, The toshiba set that you are looking at had great reviews but I noticed that when it was in full or wide mode the faces appeared stretch this does not occur in the 56 H 80.
    HD sets do not produce a great picture with an analog signal because the sets is looking for that digital picture signal. The picture quality is very good on dvd and great on HD. If you have a weak signal such as off air antenna or a poor cable feed it will show poorly on the set. I would suggest that the next time you are in the store have them show the analog signal.They tend to run dvds or an HD loop which makes the set look great. The first little while you will be watching analog signal as the HD def program is limited.
    I have a Dish 6000 HD set top box. The Direst tv box RCA is about $600.00 plus an adapter of$75 to change the VG plug to an RCA type jack,there are more and more boxes coming out I read about on the newsgroup here. Satellite is the only way to go for HD picture. Most cable companies have not developed a method of giving you hd picture.CBS appears to have the largest line up of programming available variety. while HBO and Showtime have HD channels on the satellite. You may wish to check your area and see what sations are in h def good luck. I am certain you will make an informed decision based on all the facts Try this web site it has info on the hd sets www.keohi.com

4. Richard Driskill

Richard Driskill Stunt Coordinator

Fred,
    I also recommend the Elite and Platinum lines, but point out the 9" gun (versus 7" gun) use in the 64" Inteq ATSC set, which also includes a digital decoder, and has enough inputs to choke a horse. I recommend you DO NOT buy a 4X3 aspect ratio set.
    ALL TV's have scan lines (trace matrix). In negating the physical display trace, you would have to have a display screen with a transistor assigned to each and every display pixel.
    Also check the post "10 months to choose a HDTV?" in this topic slot.

5. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

6. Richard Driskill

Allen,
    You crack me up. You actually found a web site named: How Stuff Works. I'm still laughing over that one. hahahaha [​IMG]

7. AllenD

AllenD Second Unit

Richard,
    How do you think I learned how to change my brake pads. [​IMG] It was either a $250 brake job from the dealer, or do it for $40 on my own!

8. Richard Driskill

Allen,
    That's just great! I've always been the same way. I don't need to watch my purse strings at all, but I can't STAND being ripped off, or simply because I like doing things myself (bit of a perfectionist here). It's just that that site name has me holding my side! [​IMG]

9. Abdul Jalib

Abdul Jalib Stunt Coordinator

I don't think you'll get enough of a benefit going from a Sony 32" Wega (assuming it's a recent model that does the 16:9 squeeze) to a Toshiba 40H80 or similar. Yes, you get line doubling and a little bigger screen and HD capability, but keep in mind that your 4:3 picture on a 40" 16:9 set will only be as big as on your current 32" set! Also, the picture on a Wega is really pretty nice, even on the interlaced analog Wega's. Save up for a better/bigger set. Also, I'm kind of surprised that you have 4:3 squeezing set yet you insist on a 16:9 aspect set.
    Here are the sets I recommend, with each being the best in my eyes until the next higher price point:
    $7000 Philips 64PP9751
    $6600 Zenith IQB64W10W
    $3800 Philips 60PP9601 + DVDO iScan Pro
    $3000 RCA F38310
    $2600 RCA MM36110 + HTPC
    $1600 RCA MM36110
    $1400 RCA MM32110
    $1150 Sampo SME-27HD5
    $900 Samsung Tantus TSK-2792F
    $600 Sony Wega KP-27FS12
    It sounds like the best match for you is the RCA F38310. No question that will blow away your analog Wega.
    ------------------
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

10. Richard Driskill

Abdul,
    What size guns does the Philips 64PP9751 use for that 64" display? Are they 7" or 9"? The Inteq (Zenith) IQB64W10W uses 9" guns for the same size screen. (that's the one I have)