1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

newbie needs help...Plasma tv or projector?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Joe-yeung, May 22, 2003.

1. Joe-yeung

Joe-yeung Auditioning

Hello, i'm new here i've been watching different threads and after a week i think this is the best home theater forum i have ever seen.

well guys i need help.. i have a room that is 18'x 18' I'm thinking on getting a projector but i've seen that the replacement lamps are on about 400$ thats kind of expensive i think... the plasmas and projectors (the ones im looking at) are around the same price range 2,000-6,000 what would you guys suggest 42"-50" plasma tv or a projector like the sony w12ht (i think thats the series) if you choose any of them could you comment on why and which brand/series would you pick and why? I will really appreciate any comments! [​IMG]

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    18x18 is a large room. If your intention is to watch primarily movies then I would lean to projection in order to "duplicate" the theatrical experience. That budget will leave the door open to many possibilities. I will let others chime in and will check back in later as to specifics.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

First you should realize that if you cannot or don't want to darken the room almost completely, you should not use a front projector.

Then decide how big a screen you want and how much you want to spend. Currently there are very few plasmas bigger than 50 inches and very few RPTV's bigger than 70 inches. Just because the room is 18x18 does not mean you have to have seats at the very rear. A perfectly good home theater can occupy a part of a room with other activities going on at the same time.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Joe-yeung

Joe-yeung Auditioning

thanks for replying guys... well the couch is almost at the wall there is like 1' between the couch and the wall, in the other wall there is a furniture that is like a bookshelf that has in one section my sisters computer and it has also a desk the other spaces i filled 'em up with books, my Hometheater receiver, my dvd player and a 29" tv that from where the couch is it looks ok but way to small to watch a good movie/sports/tv. The room is kind of dark there are NO windows there are just two light sources: 1.- the ceiling fan with 4 60 watt halogen bulbs and 2.- a lamp that has 2 60 watt halogen bulbs. So the room is not pitch black but is not light... but i could get a dim controller and then i can control the light.

I will use the projector or plasma tv to watch 60% of the time TV and 40% movies on sundays most likely or saturday nights. It will be use around 10-30 hours a week. I'm willing to spend up to 6,000. the less i have to spend the better hehehe

5. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

As Allan suggested, it sounds like you might be able to rearrange the room with the couch as a divider between the HT and other activities.

For example, say your sister wants to use her computer while you want to watch TV or a movie. Will you be able to darken the room enough for a FP or would a plasma better suit your needs?

6. Joe-yeung

Joe-yeung Auditioning

ok I was looking at the possible new positions for the furniture but the couch and furniture are kind of big and I also forgot to mention there is like a small center table. So if i try to rearrange everything i will get about the same distribution so, rearranging the room will get me to nothing. I talked to my dad yesterday, since he is going to use it more than me, and he first said plasma but then he said projector. So i think defenitely a Front Projector.

My new question would be now what do you guys say of the sony w12ht is it a good projector? or you have some other one you could suggest me that is less than 6K.. thanks for replying

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Do not rule out the option of having both in the room, a front projection setup and a RPTV as well. You could do both with that budget. Just a consideration.

Anyway, if you are going to be doing a lot of casual TV watching then I would either get something like the Panasonic L300U FPTV which has a 5000 hour lifespan on the bulb, or get both a FPTV and RPTV using the RPTV for TV viewing and the FPTV for movies, or get a RPTV.

As for the Sony 12HT, it is a nice projector. If you are set on a Sony model, check the Sony HS10 which has performance that is very close to the 12HT but for a much cheaper price. I have the 11HT.

If you want to spend the $6K budget on just a FPTV there are many to choose from but keep in mind that bulb replacement costs can be $300-$600 depending on the PJ.