What's new

Newbie needs help on purchase of 4:3 projection TV... (1 Viewer)

Chip C

Auditioning
Basically, I'm looking for the best picture possible in a 50"+ projection TV that's around $1,000-$1,500.
I'm mainly getting it because I'm finally moving into a house and need something to watch football and DVD's on. :D
Please advise...all the review sites online are very confusing...I just want to know what has the best picture...
The couch will probably be around 8 feet from the TV, if that makes any difference...
Thanks very much in advance...
Peace,
Chip

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You want an RPTV that can handle ATSC signals. It makes no sense now to buy an NTSC-only RPTV.

The 47-inch Panasonic 16:9 set can be found for around $1,500. It's excellent after it has been calibrated.

Chip C

Auditioning
So are you saying I should go with HDTV, or with widescreen? I was hoping to get a larger screen than 47", and I also don't like how the picture gets squished when you watch regular cable programming...

Thanks for the help, BTW...it's appreciated.

Peace,

Chip

James Stierman

Stunt Coordinator
If your looking for an analoge set the hitachi 50FDX20B sells for 1499.99 and is a nice set. Its a very good 50 inch 4x3 set, not HD though. For a 50 inch HD set your looking probly at about 2000.

Chip C

Auditioning
Well, that sounds like the way to go! Hitachi I've always been impressed with, and if this is refurbished to their specs, yet is also HDTV ready, then I'll just have to try it out. I move into the new house next week, so I'll order it then. Thanks for the tip!

Peace,

Chip

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Chip,

Watch out for the Hitachi HDTV's models. The models I've seen have grey bars when watching widescreen material on the 4:3 sets. I think the same may be for 16:9 sets on unzoomed 4:3 stuff. There was no option to switch to black bars. The grey bars are intolerable IMO.

The Sony's 53" are going for around $2K and the 57" wide set for a bit more. Pioneer non-elite may be another good option.

I believe the new sets with DVI are going to cost $1K more at least on the Hitachi's. Anyone know what the risk if you buy non-DVI set today if you are using a separate HDTV Sat receiver and OTA tuner?

Gil D

Supporting Actor
Maybe I'm mistaken on the Hitachi. The info says there is an option for 16:9 black bars.

Brad_V

Second Unit
You won't find a great 50" 4:3 HD set for $1500 or less new. The closest is the 47" 16:9s, but 47" 16:9 is kinda wimpy for an RPTV. And you will read mixed reviews about watching sports on a widescreen TV in stretch mode.

Depends what you want. If you don't plan on buying an HD tuner anytime soon and just want a great-looking big-ass TV, you can get the Toshiba 50a50 50" for $999 if you look. It's the same as the impressive 50a61 but without pip and no screen protector. It's analog, but it's hard to get much better of a picture short of HD. I'd put that Toshiba or some of the analog Mitsubishis up against any other TV any day when viewing a non-HD signal.

Analogs are still cheaper and easier to fix, so just depends on what you intend to use it for and how much bucks you plan on dishing out. Prices are falling for HDs, but things are still a bit of a toss-up. Read up on and go look at the stretch modes if you are thinking 16:9, though. If you plan on watching lots of sports, you may not like it and will have to get a 4:3 TV of some sort.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Dont get an analog set...You can get 50 Inch HD ready sets 4.3 for well under 1500 now...Most manufacturers are drop their big screen analog lines...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks