What's new

Newbie needs help on first HT reciever purchase (1 Viewer)

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
This will be my first HT reciever and considering the Onkyo DS 696 and a 5.1 set of HTD level 2 or possibly the level 3 X set. How good are the level 2 and 3 set and does anybody else have any other recomendations for a 5.1 set under 800$ shipped. Also any recomdations for a different reciever in the 650$ shipped area. Looked into the Denon 2802 at the same price range but I hear the remotes are not to hot. The soundstage for this setup will be around 350 square foot area with 30 foot valted ceiling. TIA

Scott Hayes

Second Unit
I dont know too much about the speakers you mentioned, but I purchased a Marantz SR6200 this past summer. I thought it was better than the Onkyo (IMO) One thing about the Marantz that I like was that I can later add on a rear speaker for 6.1 and I can also add on a seperate amp for 7.1 as my budget allows it. Try to get the salesman let you try a few recievers in your home. I was able to and the salesman brought them over to the house to listen to them in the room I would eventually set them up in. One note about the Marantz. The remote is not that great. It is workable but a little awkward and it is not lit, wich can be a pain at night.

I am a huge Polk Audio fan. I did not by a packaged deal, but I know they sell them. You may want to look into them. Visit there website and see what they have. They also have a fantastic customer service and tech support.

Hope I helped. I see this is your first post. This is a fantastic forum . I have learned quite a bit here, you can find out almost anything you need to know about HT from reading the posts. Welcome.

EricHaas

Supporting Actor
Receiver. Depends on your feature needs, because I can tell you that if you want a sub-$500 receiver, they will all sound fairly close, particularly with speakers that you will purchase in that price range. Onkyo ds696: Has a great remote and easy to use; lacks 6 channel support so if you feel like you want to go to 6.1 any time soon, go with a different receiver; Denon 2802: has 6.1, crappy remote; Marantz: has 6.1, but I caution against Marantz because of reliability concerns (see audioreview.com).

I have a friend with HTD speakers and I think they are quite good for the money. Personally, I would go with Level 3, and get bookshelf sized for fronts.

Scott Yuri

Stunt Coordinator
I would take the Yamaha RX-V1200 in that price range, and second choice would be the Onkyo Integra 6.2. Both of these will cure any reliablity issues. If you like the 696 you'll like the Integra. I know it's an Onkyo, but I believe after seeing inside both units the Integra is worth the extra $$ IMHO.

Sean Dayton

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for all your input folks. Hard to make decisions when there is no store in town that sells mid level to high tier AV gear so my purchases will have to be based from other users opinions and reviews. I am hearing that the HTD Level 3 sub is not so hot also. Another option I am considering is to buy fronts and rear sets and a center seperate and get a sub later on down the road. I am looking at the Acoustic Research AR 15 set for the front and the AR 17 set for the rears and AR4C for center. Any opinions on this setup or are the HTD 3 bookshelf better than the AR 17. What bookshelf sets in this price range will give a decent bass response. Thanks

Sean

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Sean,

I suggest an Harman Kardon 520 mated with JBL Northridge speakers.

N-38 front, N-Center, N-26 surrounds and PB-10 sub.

This system would be hard to beat for less than $2000+.

(check your private messages for a source that will offer pricing at your price point)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks