What's new

Newbie needs help on choosing a reciever (1 Viewer)

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
I am setting up my first HT system so far these are the components that I have.

Sony STR-DE685
3 Bose 901 Series VI
Sony KV-32FV300
Bose Center Speaker

I don't have the budget to replace everything right now. The 901's active EQ won't work with the Sony reciever so I definitely have to replace that. I'm also going to get a SVS 25-35PCi so my budget is around $400-500. I'm looking for suggestions on decent receivers to go with this set up. Thanks in advance.

Ben_Ly

Agent
I would definately go with Onkyo or Denon. I know Denon has 5 channel stereo which is great for listening to music and Onkyo reputation is very good. Maybe a Denon 2800 would do nicely. Just my opinion, definately an Onkyo or Denon though.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Onkyo, Denon, Yamah, Marantz(refurbished at www.accessoreis4less.com.

What are looking to get out of a receiver? Do you want PLII, 5.1, 6.1, How many inputs do you want? Do you want Pre-outs so you can add an amp in the future?

You might get better answers if you give more info.

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
I would DEFINITELY need pre-outs because of the stupid "Active Equalizer" that is necessary for the Bose 901 VI speakers. That will be the ONLY way that the 901's can be used in my HT setting. I would imagine I need inputs for:

TV
DVD - component in and out
CD
2nd CD
DigitalCABLE BOX
"Active Equalizer" (pre-outs)

The Sony that I have would be okay, it has decent input options, but it doesn't have pre-outs or a "tape Monitor" which means that I can't use my speakers with it. Right now I'm in a room about 16x12 that is 3/4 open on one side of the HT setup and has a standard glass patio door on the other side. My couch is nearly to the wall so I really don't think I'll use a rear center speaker, so I could do the 5.1 and upgrade if I move...which won't be for 4-5 years.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
It sounds like what I had. He is using a analog EQ that only works if you have Tape Monitor inputs.
I know the Onkyo doesn't. The pioneer 811 does(that is what I own)

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
The 901's were a gift to my wife from her father....so needless to say.....they won't be going.....at least not right now. I just need something that will work with them and I'm trying to get an idea of what's good out there for about $400. Onkyo has the TX-SR500 and H/K has the AVR-225 and they seem to run around the same price. Any thoughts on these two or any others ?

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Is the amplification actually done in the speakers? Or do you need a signal path as follows:

Reciever pre-outs --> Speakers for EQ --> Reciever for amp --> speakers for sound output

If that is what you need than you need a reciever with pre-outs and pre-ins, which are pretty rare in surround recievers AFAIK. Many if not most stereo recievers have this feature though.

Mark

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
FWIW, here is a link to the audioreview.com Bose 901 reviews. The very first one describes the issues encountered when using them in a HT environment:

Bose 901 reviews

I have to say that I am curious about a statement made in one of the reviews -

"You can plug them into a wall outlet and listen to 60 hz"

??!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks