What's new

Newbie needs help deciding on a new receiver for Interlude IL60s, IL36C, and IL10s (1 Viewer)

Rodon

Second Unit
Ok - I am new to the HT world - at least the high end world of HT. My HT has been consumer quality for a long time.
Hope the speakers I invested in are worthy of a nice receiver at least.
So I am selling my Sony STR-945 and am now looking for a NEW upgraded receiver. So many to chooose from. I want to stay under $1500-$2000 if possible.
Wanting
Denon 4802
Denon 3802
Onkyo 989ver2 (not sure I can get this for under $2grand :) )
What is my best choice for these speakers. Room is about 12'wide by 23'long with a huge bay window in middle of exterior wall and a doorway on 3 of four sides.
Keep in mind the IL60s are 4-ways with a powered 12" sub in each.
Also, should I have any problem running a pre-out from the receiver to each amp for the sub, and then running the other three speakers off the powered output from the receiver? Any advantage of doing this rather than using the speakers but in line converter?
Any interlude useres out there - or any infinity audio people out there.

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Rodon, (cool name :) )
In your $1500 to $2000 price range you have plenty of options. I see that you have the 3802 on your short list, just so you know 6th Ave has the 3802 for $699.
You may also want to think about separates such as a Rotel 1066/Parasound 855A or 1205A combo. Just a thought.

Mark Russ

Second Unit
Harman Kardon, B&K and Denon would all be great choices with those speakers. I'm not sure I'd put Onkyo with them. Go to a Curcuit City and listen to some interludes while switching back and forth between both Onkyo and Harman Kardon and you should be able to hear the difference for yourself. I think those speakers tend to lean a little more towards the bright side, so you want to pair them with a warmer sounding amp, and I think the Onkyo's tend to be a little bright. Just my opinion. BTW, I bought a set of Polk RTi series of speakers and now I'm starting to wonder if I made a mistake. Now, I kind of wish I would have went with the Infinity interludes instead. Oh well, I can still upgrade them for up to a year.

Rodon

Second Unit
I only put the Onkyo in the list because that 989 looks to be very sweet.

I am really really torn on teh 3802 and 4802 decision. On teh one hand I think why spen twice as much - on the other I think if I am going to keep it for five or so years I better get a nice one.

Still have to find a good price on the 4802.

Another question, is the Aktis remote that bad?? What is bad about it?

Thanks for teh name comment. Most people in IL call me Mike (easier for people to pronounce) but still use Rodon most of the time when I am online. Nice to have my uniqueness still even if it is just online.

Rodon

Second Unit
OK, WOW!!, I just checked out teh Rotel DSP 1066 - I think that would be absolutely perfect for my setup!!!

What are the general breakdowns on price for the Rotel
and what amp is a good mate for it.

Wow - that Rotal looks nice!! Thanks Vlad!!

Vlad D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Vladimir Derenoncourt
Rodon,

I think MSRP is $1499, but you can probably get the dealer to take off 15% may 20%.

As far as amps go, I can only comment on one since I recently bought my first amp. A Parasound 855A which I bought on UBid. If you do a search you will find many forum members also recently bought Parasound amps on UBid. They had killer deals. The 885A is 85watts per 5 channels. The Parasound 1205A is 140 watts per 5 channels and is also THX certified.

Rodon

Second Unit
Ordered teh 3802 today and will just get a Pronto remote. This is all I need for now I guess. Maybe someday I will add an amp or two.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks