What's new

Newbie needs help connecting 1st HTIB (1 Viewer)

Hi I just bought a Kenwood HTB 504. The vendor upgraded my receiver to the VR509. I also bought a Panasonic DVD CV51 changer. What are my options for connecting everything together? here is what I now have:

Proscan 32" TV - no component jacks - only S Video

VCR

VR509

Panny CV51

Very confused about which cable goes where, what is Toslink and do I need it etc.

thanks

Chriss M

Second Unit
IT should be pretty easy -
Video
composite video cable from the 509 output to the TV input.
S-Video cable from the 509 output to the TV input.
Composite video cable from vcr output to 509 vcr input.
svideo cable from CV51 output to 509 dvd input.
audio
Left/Right audio cables from VRC output to 509 VCR audio input (the red and white plugs)
TOSLink Optical cable from CV51 output to 509 digital1 input. Assign digital1 to dvd using the 509's menu system (look in the manual for info on assigning and using digital inputs)
If your TV has audio outputs for external speakers, connect them to the receiver's TV audio inputs. Then turn off your internal tv speaker.
run speaker wires to each of your 5 speakers. Run a cable from the subwoofer output on the 509 to the subwoofer input on the sub.
I think that's everything :)

Thanks Chriss,

I knoq 0 about this and it is very confusing. A coworker of mine suggested the following hookup:

TOSlink from dvd to 509

SVideo out of DVD to TV

composite from DVD to TV

composite from VCR to tv

composite out from TV to 509

Will this work? Is it better /worse?

Thanks again.

Brian

Chriss M

Second Unit
there are a few connections you dont need in that scenario. If you are connecting the tv player via s-video, you do not also need to connect a composite video cable. Also, if you are running the dvd player and the vcr direct to the tv, there is no need for a video connection from the 509 to the tv, other than for an On-screen setup menu if the 509 has such a feature. Doing it this way will also cause you to lose the automatic video switching that your receiver would provide.

Chriss,

thanks for your help. One last question:

Why do I need both Composite and S Video going from the 509 to the TV? I would think you would use one or the other? Please explain to a novice.

thanks

RichN

Stunt Coordinator
If I can add my two cents worth here, I have a 509 also, and I am running all my video directly to my tv and the audio from the tv to the receiver (with the exception of the 5.1 output of my DVD). This is the easiest way. I am using Video3 as my tv input, so I had to set the Input Mode for Video3 to Analog (see manual page 7). There should be no need for any S-video or composite video to go to the receiver (unless you don't have enough inputs on the tv). If you do decide to use the video on the receiver, be sure to program each input correctly (digital or analog).
And remember, according to the manual (page 9) if you use an S-video input, you MUST use the S-video output also.
RichN

Chriss M

Second Unit
Brian,

you need both cables because the receiver cannot convert one type of signal to another. Since you have a vcr connected via composite and a dvd player with svideo, you will need both cables going from the 509 to the TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks