Newbie needs help advice finishing cabinents

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by george king, Jan 2, 2003.

1. george king

george king Supporting Actor

I am in the process of building a pair of GR Research AV-1s. I bought some really great unfinished cabinents from Brian, and need a little help / advice. Since I have no real skills with woodworking :b , I thought I would keep the cabinents simple (if I like the speakers, they can be moved to surrounds, and better finished AV-1's can be made for the front).
    Here is what I did. The cabinents were primered, painted with a textured paint, and then painted with a high gloss black paint. I think they look pretty good. However, my question is, would it make sense to put on a clear coat now, to kind of "seal in" the look?
    thaniks a bunch.[​IMG]

2. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Hi there, newbie George! You do not need to put a clear coat to seal the gloss paint. I hope you'll be pleased with the A/V1's sound. They're good value speakers. Brian and I have worked on some speaker ideas and he actually came to Austin for on of our local meets. He's a good guy and has recently gone full time. If you'll read through the DIY archives, you'll find lots of advice on finishing, particularly with veneer and laminate. You may be inspired to tackle veneering your next speakers. Yes, your next speakers, because you have been bitten by the DIY bug and there is no antidote. You WILL upgrade and move those A/V1's to surround locations, mark my words...Bwahahahahaha!

BTW, my daughter had another good semester up there at TCU (I read your post on the HTT forum).

3. george king

george king Supporting Actor

Hank,
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah, Brian has been great, and put up with a lot of pesky questions from me. The cabinents were really great. I hope that I enjoy them, as I am building them based on reputation and recommendation alone (yours included [​IMG]). I am sure that I will be building some more in the future, but upgrades are few and far between as they do not pay assistant professors all that much here (glad to hear your daughter is doing well - if she has any desire to go to Medical or PA School, have her talk to me, as I am also on the faculty at UNT Health Science Center), also, if you come to visit her, drop by my office 335 SWR, and we can chat.[​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I usually do apply a coat of clear coating to the finish of my paint projects, BUT, you must wait until the paint underneath has dried/cured so that it doesn't interact with the clear coat.

I made the mistake of not waiting long enough when I sprayed clear coat over a hammered metal paint job on one baffle, and the clear coat did react with the paint.

So, if you need to figure out how long to wait, spray a scrap piece with the paint in a couple of places, wait until it appears dry, and then test the scrap piece by spraying the clear coat on it, and if it doesn't react, you're good to go, otherwise, wait some more, and then test the 2nd sample.