What's new

Newbie needs direction in choosing a receiver… maybe separates? (1 Viewer)

_Shawn_

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I reciently upgreaded from Bose to paradigm studio speakers, all i think I have left is the receiver/amp. Just waiting for those speakers to arrive. :D

Will a Yamaha HTR-5940 work well with Paradigm studio 60s, CC570? I purchased this receiver for my parents but it is too small for their system now (5.1 to 7.1).

So now I have Yamaha 5940 that is practically new. When I purchased it I thought it was 105 watt per channel. It is actually 85 watts per channel. (85 watts at 20hz-20khz, and 105 at 1khz, what ever that means)

I’m willing to spend around $1300-1500 on a new receiver or separate amp (the 5940 does have preamp out) to ensure that the paradigms sound as good as they did on the Yamaha My setup will be a 5.1 to start and eventually will upgrade to a 6.1 or 7.1. But if I can get by with the 5940 I can use that $1500 on other fun toys or save.

I do have a 1080p 47 inch lcd. HDMI and all of the extras that now come with a new all in one reviver would be nice but I’m not sure I need the video switching or up-converting. Just want great Stereo and Home theater surround that will not be obsolete when the come out with HDMI 1.3.
And a receiver/amp that will sound good when playing MP3s (assuming that a receiver can help in this area).

Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.

Shawn

_Shawn_

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
I forgot to add that I did listen to the speakers on a Yamaha RX-V2600 before I made the purchase and they sounded great with that receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With HDMI 1.3 so close, I would definitley wait to spend that kind of money on a new receiver.

Neither of those receivers is really enough for those speakers. $1500 isn't going to get you into the realm of separates, nor is it going to really net you a receiver that will really shine with those speakers, but you CAN add an amp to your current receiver within your budget.

_Shawn_

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Thanks for the reply.

If the Yamaha RX V2700 is not enough for the speakers what is? (Why?)
What is the ideal setup that you recommend?

As you mentioned I can get a good amp and use the Yamaha 5940 but if I do this I’m not sure what would be worth my $$. I do have some flex in my budget but do not want to spend needlessly.
I have heard Outlaw, NAD, and Anthem make good amps.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 2700 would be able to drive them, but the 570 is a pretty demanding speaker and the 60s less so, but to get the best out of them I generally recommend separate amplification. Few but the top teir receivers typically can deliver the kind of current a separate amp can. These speakers are 8 Ohm "compatible", however they drop fairly low in impedance which presents a sometimes difficult load to drive. (The 470 is normally the right match for the 60s, 570 for 100s). The size of your room will also be a factor - if you have a very large room, a receiver may not cut it, but if you have a smaller room it may be fine. I have a large room and 4 Ohm speakers and my Marantz 8300 wasn't quite enough to give me the levels I was after - I could hear the strain at higher listening levels. I added 2 monoblock amps for the mains and it is all sounding great now. What I would do is probably go with the 2700 and see how that sounds, then if you needed more power, add a 2 or 3 channel amp for the fronts.

_Shawn_

Auditioning
Real Name
Shawn
Thanks,

Originally I ordered the 470, but because of some issues with the order. I'm getting the 570 for about the same price that i was going to get the 470.

Would it be best to get a 3channel amp, or a 5 channel amp for my 5.1 setup? If i get a 5 channel can i use it with the current Yamaha that i have and still get great sound?

I think i'm starting to get a feel for what i need....

My father got the 100s at the same time and I'm taking what I'm learning about powering the 60s and 570 and applying it to his setup that is only stereo at this time. (always fun when you are new). He is running a Yamaha HT-V1000 I think. His christmas present is going to be a new 2 or 3 channel amp.

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
Studio 100's are kick ass speakers. They need lots of head room in the amp section to really sing... Great choice guys!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks