newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by robert*, Dec 11, 2005.

1. robert*

robert* Auditioning

I'm looking to do a home theatre room 13 x 18, light conditions ok, will be used primarily for movies. I got a quote from a custom installer-high-end type, guoted runco cl-410, integra dtr 5.5 7.1 a/r. jamo speakers, with $3500 labor to install all equipment. I'm not a handyman, but thinking of using brother-law and contact labor to install all equipment and sub-contract the projector install. First question, considering the epson powerlite cinema 500. Sharp xv-z2000, or sony vpl-hs51 based on consumer reports and sound and vision recommendations. Live in small town (Tupelo, MS, "E" first home town!)so can't check out these fp in person. Budget in $3 to 3500 range for fp, thoughts and advice on fp selection and my plan to not go custom install. Appreciate links to any material that I should read in help with decision. Thanks in advance-Robert

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    $3,500 just for labor to install equipment? That sounds pretty expensive. If you know the difference between a drill and screwdriver you can do it yourself. You'll need to do some reading and research first though. I built my HT room for my projector myself, and made my own screen and projector mount. The most time consuming thing is drilling holes for cables and wiring, but it's not hard.

3. robert*

robert* Auditioning

yes, sounds expensive to me also, but this firm does many very high systems, do great work. Any thoughts on my front projector selections?

4. joseph westcott

joseph westcott Second Unit

5. David Noll

David Noll Stunt Coordinator

Robert,

Although too expensive for most budgets, Runco makes some of the finest projectors available. I have a Runco VX-1000ci which has a MSRP of $16,995.00.
    There are other brands not as expensive but quite good. Continue your research. This forum has a lot of info.

Good Luck,

David