Newbie needs advice re: wiring equipment for best quality.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard_E, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

Please take a minute to help a newbie understand. I have gathered that the "types" of connections increase in quality from composite to S-Video to component. But I don't know how that translates to passing HD signals. Also, I am not sure the trade-offs between signal quality with DVD to HDTV versus DVD to Receiver for component switching. As you can see below, most of my "stuff" is not here yet.
    Please recommend connections (to/from) and cable type (digital, optical, component, s-video, etc.)
    Here's my equipment:
    Harman/Kardon AVR320 (arriving tomorrow)
    Toshiba DVD player (non-progressive scan)
    Sony 5-disc cd player
    Sony KP57HW40 (on the way)
    Hughes DirecTV HD Receiver (on the way)
    Tivo (on the way)
    Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

Welcome to the Forum, Richard!

Here's what I'd do:

Run all video connections directly to the TV, thus minimizing the signal degradation.

HD Receiver- HD Component direct to TV (Input 5 maybe?)- get a set of good component cables here.

DVD- Component direct to TV (Input 6?)

S-Video and L/R audio from the HD Receiver to the Tivo, for recording. (Is the Tivo a stand-alone, or also a DirecTV receiver? If so, I change my mind).

S-Video out from Tivo to TV (Input 1)

L/R out from Tivo to TV (Input 1)

digital audio out from HD Receiver to HK

digital audio out from DVD to HK

Digital audio out from CD (if available) to HK, otherwise L/R.

Monitor Video output (composite) from HK to TV- just for setup of receiver.

Cable lengths will probably need to be 2 meter for going to back of TV, 1 meter for interconnecting the components to the receiver, depending on how everything is laid out.

That should do it. Anytime you watch HD, you'll bypass the Tivo (of course) and have to listen through the receiver. But, IMO, for HD, it's the way to do it. The audio (at least for me, thus far), is MUCH clearer than your typical TV fare.

If possible, give each of these components their own shelf. They all generate quite a bit of waste heat. If you have to stack-

*nothing goes on top of the HK- period.

*Put the HD receiver on top of the DVD.

Todd

3. Richard_E

Richard_E Agent

Thanks a lot for your help. I think I'm getting there. To answer your question about the Tivo, it's standalone.

Thanks again. If you (or anyone else) has some good "how-to" or beginner FAQ URLs that would be useful reading, please send!

thanks!