Newbie Needs Advice On Components

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mike garver, Mar 18, 2003.

1. mike garver

mike garver Auditioning

Here it is . My father recently died and left me his audio system: Spectral dmc-12 preamp, Spectral dma-80 stereo amp, Nautilus 805 speakers, and a meridian 508/24 cd player. Now, I know that these are some top audio components, but what I want is some home theater for my den.I listen to a lot of music, but I like movies as well. What can I use and not use of these components, and what would you match them with? The amp is stereo so it appears that it with the two mit terminator cables will not be of much use. I just do not know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have some funds, and would like to use them wisely. I just do not want to waste or not use anything if I could.

Michael Garver

2. Bill Kane

Bill Kane Screenwriter

Welcome to the Forum......

That's a real nice audiophile system.

But you had been thinking of adding a 5.1 surround system for DVD movies, say using your existing TV; or perhaps a new Hi-Def Ready tv for satellite or cabletv broadcasts that come in DolbyDigital, yes? And now you have your dad's gear......

At the least, the B&W Nautilus 805s will be good mains (keep the MIT cables), so long as you find a closely "timbre" matched center spkr from B&W plus two rear surrounds, whose matching is not so critcal; and you wud really want a subwoofer both for
    DVD movies and CD music, say $500-$600.

This leaves you a receiver to look for -- maybe $400-$600 if not double --plus a DVD player, say $200 for a Panasonic CP-72 progressive disc tray unit. Modern DVD players play CD audio disks just as well.

Your dad's amp currently is valued about $900 in net auctions; I didnt check the pre-amp. But you can hold onto them as long as you're thinking where to go. Audiogon.com is a trading site to see prices for this level gear.

I've just thrown out some "mid-fi" prices. Who knows where the bug will take you here...[​IMG]

3. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

But keep the CD player even if you get a DVD player. I wouldn't ever use a DVD player to play my CD's, especially if I had your unit....(salivate, salivate!) In fact....if I were you I'd keep that system intact for my music listening and build the home theater from scratch.
    Oh....and my condolences on your father's passing...may he rest in peace.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

You said music is important to you...

I agree you might consider keeping the system by itself and building the HT from scratch.
    Very nice high end gear and unless stereo is NOW unimportant to you, I would keep it as is.

I'd definitly give this some serious thought.

HT is much "more forgiving" and the cost of a "fairly decent system" could be had very reasonable compared to the costs of your fathers high end 2-channel gear.

If a high end HT is your want, well like your 2-channel gear, the skys the limit.
    1500.00 to 2K spent smartly could have you a very very nice HT (assuming no new TV and not going seperates) from scatch. It can be done for even less with quite amazing results when shopping carefully.

My regards to the unfortunant loss of your father
    Geoff

5. mike garver

mike garver Auditioning

Thank you all for your kind words. i have been reading the faq here and pulling threads. I think i will go with a seperate system. My only problem now is what to do. we have mostly boxed sets available here in Mobile. I am going to investigate more here and around to see what is the bets way to go. I assume if i do a whole other system I will be using another set of "fronts" in addition to the 805s. So--up on the ceiling/wall, or on taller stands behind the 805s???

Thanks for any advice.

Mike garver

6. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Hmmm...well if it's all going to be in the same room there should be a way to 'share' your front speakers with the 2 systems. Like an A/B switch for the reciever/amp to speaker connections or something??? I'm not an expert but I'm sure there's something similar to what I described. Anyone??