What's new

newbie needs advice on a tv (1 Viewer)

I'm still new to all this stuff although I've been burning DVD's like crazy for quite a while! But with TV's I'm less educated. I currently have a SONY 53" projection. I'm trying to figure out what's the next step up.

I've read/seen LCD's, great quality, but I've heard they're not-so-nice when some pixels die or there's any repair work to be done and very expensive and more prone to failures.

Now I'm reading about DLP tv's and learned from my local tv repairman that they're more reliable and supposedly just as good quality as the LCD's.

Have there been posts here talking about these various types of tv's and the pro's and con's? If not, anyone care to enlighten me some or point me to some available info?

I'm interested in the whole spectrum from cheap to I-need-another-mortgage-to-afford-it, however, I'll probably stay somewhere in the middle. $5k is about my price range right now and I do mostly DVD-R recordings from satellite so I'm less interested in HD (until HD-DVD is available that is).

Thanks in advance for any info and insight anyone can offer!

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm assume'n you have done some searches here? Lots of great info on comparisons. All technologies have their pros and cons for sure.

You should seriously consider front projection especially with that budget. CRT Front Projection still gets just the slightest nod by me over the other technologies. But that gap is almost nill anymore, considering the current offerings that are out there in FP these days.

Is your current set not HD? Or do you want a bigger screen? Or are you really just looking to do a technology update?

If not front projection, you'd certainly have to at least consider Plasma too. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks