What's new

Newbie Needs Advice - - Mitsu 55909? (1 Viewer)

Kenny.V

Auditioning
After thoroughly researching all choices (and still being quite confused) I've decided it's good time for new TV purchase. I've narrowed it down to Mitsubishi 55909. With lots of windows in our room (although 80% of viewiing is at night with low light) I'm concerned with glare/reflection and the Diamond shield seems to reduce pretty good. Any feedback on this part of decision? Any last minute suggestions that maybe I missed in research?

Lastly, is $4k fair price for this model? If anyone in the Houston area can suggest better place that Home Theater for purchase I would greatly appreciate.

Thanks in advance for any and all input. Keep up the great work on this forum.... it's been the best place so far for research.

Thanks,
Kenny

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
>>>>I've narrowed it down to Mitsubishi 55909. With lots of windows in our room (although 80% of viewiing is at night with low light) I'm concerned with glare/reflection and the Diamond shield seems to reduce pretty good. Any feedback on this part of decision? Any last minute suggestions that maybe I missed in research? Lastly, is $4k fair price for this model? If anyone in the Houston area can suggest better place that Home Theater for purchase I would greatly appreciate.

Mike I

Supporting Actor
For glare problem, take the protective screen off..You will have a much better picture and glare will not be a problem at all with any light...

John-Miles

Screenwriter
I agree with Bruce you can definitely get a better price if you are willing to look a little, but I would caution against running to every store getting a price then continually bouncing back and forth and running it like an auction. The way I look at get a price from everyone you can, then go to the places that treated you well as a customer, you know the ones who were always willing to answer questions show you more tv's and were just generally friendly, and not trying to berate you with their lack of knowledge and trying to get you to buy stuff you dont want. (i say this thinking of a salesman who tried to tell me that unless a tv was 16x9 then it was not high definition, and it could never display high definition, he also tried to tell me that only RCA had a direct view 16x9 HDTV)

I just think service is something that is important and you should be willing to pay for it. In my experience the stores where they dont treat you well before the puirchase... your not going to be treated well after, and with a 4000 dollar item service is key.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
The Mitsu Diamond series TVs are excellent, 2nd in my book only to the Pioneer Elites, and many say the Mitsus can be adjusted to look just as good as the Elites (although Elite's stretch modes and line doubler are still superior IMHO).

$4k is a fair price to ask for a Mitsu 55909. That's not to say you can't get a better price if you negotiate, but $4000 is a good starting point. Two things about the price of this TV: Bruce mentioned that he got a Mitsu Platinum Plus for $2600, so $4000 sounded high to him for the Diamond, but there were TWO Platinum Plus models. Bruce may have bought the "lesser" of the two, making the gap seem wider. Second, this is a TV that will soon be replaced by the 2003 version (55711, I think), so make sure the TV you get is brand new, not a demo model, and use the fact that it will soon be discontinued as part of your price negotiation.

Mike recommends taking the protective screen off, saying "you will have a much better picture." I do not agree. You will indeed eliminate most glare by doing this, but the Mitsu screens are designed to improve contrast by restricting the light that goes through the screen the other way, from your room into the television. The benefits from reducing glare aside, removing the screen may well make the picture look noticeably worse, and on top of that, it's not easy to remove the protective screens on the Diamond series TVs. Unless there is no other method you can use to eliminate the glare, I'd recommend keeping the protective screen on the TV.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
I was quoted 4k for a 55909 in MD without much haggling. It was listed onsale at 4500, but my wife asked "Will the price go any lower later in the year" ? The salesman said 4000 is the lowest price.

Great set, but I wasn't crazy about it's 4:3 modes. I may still end up getting it as DVD and HDTV looked awesome, even in the showroom !

David Judah

Screenwriter
Great set, but I wasn't crazy about it's 4:3 modes
It's just one of those things inherent to a 16X9 set. It seems strange at first, but believe me, once you have it for 3-4 days, you get used to it and it seems normal(of course, when friends come over they'll be sure to comment about how strange it looks).

Don't let that one thing stop you from taking the plunge.

DJ

David-T

Grip
I have a Mitsubishi WS-55909 and love it. I notice no glare or reflections as long as you are viewing the set directly. If you sit off to the side that is when glare/reflection becomes a problem. As far as other dealers in Houston, have you tried Tweeters. They gave me the best deal on a Yamaha RX-Z1 receiver. I brought my WS-55909 at the Home Theater Store here in Austin about 3-4 months ago and paid $4500.00. So you may be able to talk them down a little more. :emoji_thumbsup:

Kenny.V

Auditioning
Thanks for all the input so far. It's helped more than you can imagine.

Another predictament though.... pretty much decided on Mitsu 55909 but looking at one more store for best price and I notice Sony 57HW40 for $2500 and Mitsu 65869 for $3300. Many people on here are happy with their Sony and it does have a very nice picture. The Mitsu has a great price but not sure if too big (viewing will be 12-14 feet).

What would be best choice:

Mitsu 55909 -- $4000
Mitsu 65869 -- $3300
Sony 57HW40 -- $2500

Too many choices....

Thanks!

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
Despite what Jim FC posted, I must respectfully disagree. I spoke of the anticipated (approximately) $800 dollar price difference between MY MODEL Mitsubishi (and I do know the two 65" Platinum Plus models, one has the built in tuner, and mine does not), and the 55909. This is accurate, based on many posts that I have read. I have the 65819.

I just came from two posts on another forum, where the users paid $3800 and $3600 for 55909.. I assume this was before any warranty, tax, extra delivery, etc., (as I made clear in my original post). I also recall one person posting that he paid $3500.00, but he also purchased a progressive scan DVD player at the same time.

One of the users stated the following:

>>>Just picked up a WS-55909 This weekend for $3800.00. Not Only I liked the price but I love the HD picture.
> I only paid $3600.00. At first they said "No," but then I came back the next day. Guess what?

Kenny.V

Auditioning
All Star Audio and Video has just a couple of Mitsu 65869 left. These are new, in the box sets, not demo's or anything. They are trying to get rid of and no longer carry Mitsu 65's so they are selling for $3299. Of course, if you get them to quote that on paper you can take to Great Indoors across I-10 from All Star and they will match that price PLUS give you another 10% off.

Now for the bad news (for me at least)... I couldn't fit 65" in my room and therefore had to pass on this deal.

You can call on the phone for that price because Home Theater did just that as they would price match also.

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
KennyV:
>>> Another predictament though.... pretty much decided on Mitsu 55909 but looking at one more store for best price and I notice Sony 57HW40 for $2500 and Mitsu 65869 for $3300. Many people on here are happy with their Sony and it does have a very nice picture. The Mitsu has a great price but not sure if too big (viewing will be 12-14 feet).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks