Newbie needs a kick start

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Craig Thorn, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Craig Thorn

Craig Thorn Extra

I have been reading many threads over the last couple of days and no doubt all have been useful.

I am new to building a home theater system, so this forum was a godsend.

The basic jist I have got is that 60% of ones budget should be devoted to speakers, 30% to a decent receiver and about 10% for wiring. I have also got some basic ideas on what receiver I will need, though I have no idea yet on prices.

Now having no car, it is very difficult for me to travel around and listen to systems as advised by the many people here. Thus the reason why I am asking for help.

My budget is around A$2000 (US$1500). I will be using the system to listen to music (20%), play games on my Xbox(30%), and ofcourse watch DVD's (50%).

I know also that ones room dimensions are important. But I really cant answer you this question as I am renting and am moving every 6 months. So I need a system that is flexible.

Can someone just give me some recommendations from their experience on what would make a good mix?

Just as a side note, I want to avoid buying a package Home Theater System as I would like to do this properly.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and no doubt will narrow down my search.

2. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Check Ebay and look for seller harmanaudio.

It's Harman Kardon. You can buy a refurbed, direct from them, full warranties, etc. etc. off of Ebay. HK 630 or 7200 especially, for a great price. Tough to beat, really.

Speakers? Right now, I am currently looking at the following:

Aperion, Ascent, HTD.com level 3, av123.com Rocket ELT.

3. Rex.G

Rex.G Stunt Coordinator

Hmmm...

What type of speakers are you looking for? Towers, bookshelf, mini....???

Since you move around alot I would suggust bookshelf.

what did you have in mind?

4. Craig Thorn

Craig Thorn Extra

I agree with you. Bookshelf speakers are what I am leaning towards due to the fact that I do move around a lot.

I think I will be purchasing a Yamaha Receiver. Not sure as yet which one but I am assuming it will be about middle of the range. Its odd, here in Australia they dont seem to sell the HTR-5760 or 5790.