Newbie Needs a 42" Plasma. Can you help?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Paula Neese, Jun 18, 2006.

1. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

I am looking for tv as described in the title. My head spins from the choices. I loved my old Sony 27" tv. I've been told that only four companies really make all of the plasmas... NEC, Pioneer, LG and ?? forget the Japanese name.. [​IMG]

I would like to spend no more than$3,000, but could go slightly over that. BB has a new Pioneer for $3,300+ and a privately owned store has a bottom of the line LG for just over $2,500. No one has recommended a Sony plasma to me, not sure why.

Any advise or recommendations would be apprecitated.

Paula

2. Robert Hoffman

Robert Hoffman Stunt Coordinator

Sony doesn't make Plasmas anymore. You're fine getting any of either NEC, Pioneer, or Panasonic. Of those, the Panasonic will be the cheapest and you should be able to get a 42 inch for around $2100. I think the NECs run around $2500 (I own the 50 inch version) and Pioneer is coming out with their new line in a month or so I think (and should cost similar to the NECs). You can get the best price by buying on the internet. Try www.tvauthority.com or www.clevelandplasma.com or any other factory authorized retailer.

3. Michael TLV

Michael TLV THX Video Instructor/Calibrator

Michael Chen
    Greetings

Picture Quality wise ... Pioneer and Panasonic are effectively the same. You will pay a price premium on the Pioneer though ...

Units from both companies are considered to be at the top of the heap where plasma sets are concerned.

Regards

4. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

Thanks for taking the time to give me your input. Do you know who really makes the Panasonic plasmas? Is it really true that only four companies make all and then the brand names do some add ons?

5. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

There are few Plasma makers:

Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Pioneer, Hitachi/Fujitsu plus some other Chinese Brands.

* NEC: Sold Its Plasma business to Pioneer.
    * Fujitsu used to have 50/50 partnership with Hitachi. Now Hitachi owns most of it.

6. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Panasonic plasmas are highly rated by Consumer Reports. If I were to buy one, I'd definitely buy Panasonic.

7. Paula Neese

Paula Neese Agent

Thanks to everyone. I got a the Panasonic TH-42PX6OU today at BB for $2,250. I think I'm going to be happy.

Paula

8. BruZZi

BruZZi Second Unit

A proper calibrated Panny can look great. Congrats. [​IMG]