What's new

Newbie Needs a 42" Plasma. Can you help? (1 Viewer)

Paula Neese

Agent
I am looking for tv as described in the title. My head spins from the choices. I loved my old Sony 27" tv. I've been told that only four companies really make all of the plasmas... NEC, Pioneer, LG and ?? forget the Japanese name.. :)

I would like to spend no more than$3,000, but could go slightly over that. BB has a new Pioneer for $3,300+ and a privately owned store has a bottom of the line LG for just over $2,500. No one has recommended a Sony plasma to me, not sure why.

Any advise or recommendations would be apprecitated.

Paula

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
Sony doesn't make Plasmas anymore. You're fine getting any of either NEC, Pioneer, or Panasonic. Of those, the Panasonic will be the cheapest and you should be able to get a 42 inch for around $2100. I think the NECs run around $2500 (I own the 50 inch version) and Pioneer is coming out with their new line in a month or so I think (and should cost similar to the NECs). You can get the best price by buying on the internet. Try www.tvauthority.com or www.clevelandplasma.com or any other factory authorized retailer.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Picture Quality wise ... Pioneer and Panasonic are effectively the same. You will pay a price premium on the Pioneer though ...

Units from both companies are considered to be at the top of the heap where plasma sets are concerned.

Regards

Paula Neese

Agent
Thanks for taking the time to give me your input. Do you know who really makes the Panasonic plasmas? Is it really true that only four companies make all and then the brand names do some add ons?

BruZZi

Second Unit

There are few Plasma makers:

Panasonic, LG, Samsung, Pioneer, Hitachi/Fujitsu plus some other Chinese Brands.

* NEC: Sold Its Plasma business to Pioneer.
* Fujitsu used to have 50/50 partnership with Hitachi. Now Hitachi owns most of it.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Panasonic plasmas are highly rated by Consumer Reports. If I were to buy one, I'd definitely buy Panasonic.

Paula Neese

Agent
Thanks to everyone. I got a the Panasonic TH-42PX6OU today at BB for $2,250. I think I'm going to be happy.

Paula

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks