What's new

Newbie needing some basic help (1 Viewer)

Sylentt1

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Must say I am very glad to have found this site.I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to hook this up.I have a Directv HD DVR,a Bose 321 ii GSX media center and a Sony KDL-46WL140 HD flatscreen.What cables do I need and do I need a optical audio hookup.If so from what to what.If I've left anything out just let me know.Thank you in advance

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart
Well, I normally don't offer advice on Bose products, but I'm bored tonight.

Connect the HD DVR to your TV via HDMI
Connect the HD DVR to the Bose system via optical.

Sylentt1

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
Thanks Kevin for your help.I'm going to assume the Media center is to be hooked to the TV via component video cables?.Have been reading this site alot lately and this is a great site.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the forum Michael.

As I read the specs on the Bose media center I found no component video inputs. There are also no HDMI inputs. The best video you can get into the media center is S-video. In case you are not aware, S-Video is not capable of carrying a HD video signal. This means that connecting the media center to your TV via component cables will not provide an HD video signal to your TV.

You should connect the media center to the TV via component connections in order to get the best possible DVD video to the TV.

Just a word of caution, that Bose media center does not have a provision for Blu-Ray, so if you purchase the media center, you will need to buy a separate Blu-Ray player (and connect its audio to the media center. Also the media center does not support the newer HD audio codes (and in fact it does not support 5.1 audio either).

If the convenience of the media center setup appeals to you, that is fine, but I think that at around $1,000 you can spend your money more wisely (and purchase something that is expandable.

For example, you can now get a basic DVD player for around $100, a couple of decent speakers for maybe $150 each, and a receiver (with far more options than that media center) for $400–$500. Later you can add a real sub if you wish (you should be aware that the “acoustimass” module is not a true sub and will not provide the very low frequency output at power that subs deliver.

This approach will also allow you to add a center speaker with ease—and also rear speakers later if you desire. You won’t need to buy a new receiver or DVD player to make these additions, as you will have a flexible, non-proprietary system that can be upgraded easily.

Finally if you get a desire to begin watching movies on Blu-Ray rather than DVD, you can just buy a Blu-Ray player and you will only need to replace your inexpensive DVD player.

Just some things to consider.

Kevin Stewart

Second Unit
Real Name
Kevin Stewart

If you want, but really there's no reason to connect the Media Center to the TV. You can play standard DVD's (and CD's) via your blu ray player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zoobird
Recent bookmarks