What's new

Newbie -- Need to setup Home Theatre (1 Viewer)

bowbowbow

Auditioning
Real Name
Reddy
I am a novice at Home Theater setup and don't even know the abc of a sound music system.
Any help on understanding my requirement and helping me in buying the correct hardware is really appreciated.

Here are my requirements --
Have a finished basement and have around 600 sft for my home theater setup. Have a projector already setup. It sort of an L shaped room with the distance between the projector and screen around 25ft and width of the projection space is 12ft. the extra L shape is where we sit to watch. Its around 23ft wide.
Trying to attach an image but not allowing me. Saying exceeded " You have exceeded your allotted disk space for attachments"

My main requirement is to have a sound system mostly for watching movies and may be some music.. (am not a music fan though..may be for kids & wifey to enjoy and may be when using the wet bar(my next project though)). Also I want to plan long term and not just cover for next couple of years.

With my little research I was looking at Yamaha RX-V675 which is currently going on sale and may be some Polk Audio speakers. Wanted to start with a 5.1 setup for speakers and may be upgrade later when I have get a grasp of all of this.

Also planning to have them wall mounted as I don't want my kids to break them when they play in the basement. Or may be those which go on shelves for the rear speakers.

price range I am looking at 2k. Wifey will kill me if it gets over it..but might take that chance if that's what it takes.

Let me know.
Thanks in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
2k is doable with the 675($400 and under).I'd spend around $500-ish on a sub(Hsu).That $1100 on Polk goes a long way. Which series? Assume Monitor...Another good choice are the KEF T, KHT and E. Def Tech ProCinema I would stick "as big as it takes" to get 80hz, or lower, on the 5.0 portion.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

bowbowbow

Auditioning
Real Name
Reddy
Thanks Sam & Robert.

I don't think I am comfortable enough to build one...looks like you have all listed but I am not confident enough....

Also can anyone suggest me about floor standing front speakers.. Or do you recommend only book shelf speakers only..i can place the speakers only few inches from the wall on the side..but i can leave quite a space on the back.. I was looking at Polk Monitor 75T series..may be 65T too...(500 for 75T)
For surround speakers i was thinking of Polk RTIA3 (~400) -- How does this compare to Monitor 40 (~400)
Also do you recommend these for front speakers as well
And for center CSiA4 (~250)

HSU 10" sub sounds good to me..planning to go out and listen if I get a chance this weekend...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Agree not mixing Polk lines. I'd pass on the Polk sub though. You're much better off with a tried and tested sub like the BIC F-12. You can get much better prices. On the Monitor line. Watch for sales at newegg.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks