newbie need help tweeters not working,.?

jonrice

Auditioning
Real Name
jonrice
Hello everyone my first post hoping for some help info and advise.

I have a pair of fairly old JBL control 5 which have been standing for about 2 years doing nothing (the outer foam was gone).so I decided to try and repair them myself so far so good BUT then I realize the tweeters are not working,weird and its both of them. I have tryed the following.

using the driver connections to power them did not work.

using a direct out from my amp did not work.

I dont think the cross over's are broken because when I use the tweeter connection on the driver (bass speaker) I get some noise.

can both of them be blown or what I'm I little confused I'm really hoping someone can help as I'm on a budget and cant really afford to bye a new pair.

are thay easy to repair.?

thanks for reading,jon.

I have many more question but I'll start with this one.

cheers

jonrice

Auditioning
Real Name
jonrice
hmm I took one apart and the copper coil seems a to be brown in colour and smells a bit odd.....have i blown them i wonder???

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That would seem to be a pretty clear sign that they are dead. Generally, you cannot repair a tweeter.

andySu

Effects Supervisor
John

I also run the JBL control 5, x5 as well as the control 1 x8.

The voice coil has indeed been over driven! Thou you can replace the HF, it’s a rather sticky affair, with removable of the top part which holds the titanium driver and it’s voice coil.

The complete HF tweeter well set you back something like, $30.00 off the Ebay each if you’re lucky.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truvalastavi