What's new

newbie need help tweeters not working,.? (1 Viewer)

jonrice

Auditioning
Real Name
jonrice
Hello everyone my first post hoping for some help info and advise.

I have a pair of fairly old JBL control 5 which have been standing for about 2 years doing nothing (the outer foam was gone).so I decided to try and repair them myself so far so good BUT then I realize the tweeters are not working,weird and its both of them. I have tryed the following.

using the driver connections to power them did not work.

using a direct out from my amp did not work.

I dont think the cross over's are broken because when I use the tweeter connection on the driver (bass speaker) I get some noise.

can both of them be blown or what I'm I little confused I'm really hoping someone can help as I'm on a budget and cant really afford to bye a new pair.

are thay easy to repair.?

thanks for reading,jon.

I have many more question but I'll start with this one.

cheers

jonrice

Auditioning
Real Name
jonrice
hmm I took one apart and the copper coil seems a to be brown in colour and smells a bit odd.....have i blown them i wonder???

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That would seem to be a pretty clear sign that they are dead. Generally, you cannot repair a tweeter.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
John

I also run the JBL control 5, x5 as well as the control 1 x8.

The voice coil has indeed been over driven! Thou you can replace the HF, it’s a rather sticky affair, with removable of the top part which holds the titanium driver and it’s voice coil.

The complete HF tweeter well set you back something like, $30.00 off the Ebay each if you’re lucky.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks