Newbie monitor questions (resolution &font size) 9800 pro video card.

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Larry Fletcher, Oct 1, 2003.

1. Larry Fletcher

Larry Fletcher Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone help me out? I just got my first computer in over 5 years. currently the pixels are set at 800x600. If I increase the pixels it should increase the resolution correct? I increased the pixels the other night and my fonts got smaller. Even when I used extra large fonts they were not normal size. Is there any way I can increase my resolution and keep my font size the same. Not sure if this helps but I have a 9800 pro video card.
    I also want to be able to run games in higher resoution and not have my screen get smaller like it did last night with Battlefiled 1942. It looked like the sides of my screen were letterboxed.

Please excuse my ignorance on this subject.

thanks

:b

2. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    First a conservative rule of thumb for typical users:
    For a 15" monitor, use 800x600 resolution
    For a 17" monitor, use 1024x768 resolution
    For a 19" monitor, use 1280x1024 resolution
    For a 21" monitor, use 1600x1200 resolution.

I, however, have a 17" monitor running at 1600x1200 with large fonts and icons. Things are still a bit small for many people but I prefer the increased resolution and effective screen space this gives me.

For your original question, yes, if you increase the pixel count that is increasing the display resolution. This also decreases the pixel size; fonts and icons generally are drawn with a set number of pixels, so as the pixel size decreases the fonts and icons get smaller.

To combat that problem you can do two things: In the display settings, turn on the "Use large icons" setting and the "large fonts" setting. You can find a happy compromise between increasing your display resolution and maintaining legibility.

The goal is to have the highest resolution possible with fonts and icons using as many pixels as possible to provide a legible size on your monitor and also provide the best detailed display possible. That is, as pixel count increases, fonts become less jagged and easier to read. But since Windows only does a half-baked job of dealing with large fonts and icons, you have to play around a bit to find a comfortable setting for yourself.

Also note that more pixels can provide more usable screen real estate. Using smaller fonts, Spread sheets can show more cells, charts can have more detail, and word processors can show more readable text on screen. This can be further tweaked using the Zoom feature of the particular application.

Game resolutions are generally independent of your normal display resolution. The game's display resolution is set within the game options and doesn't change your desktop settings.

Finally, in your web browser there should be a tool to increase font size. In IE this is under the menu View->Text Size. Alas, some websites (like CNN) over-ride these settings, forcing the browser to display microscopic fonts that are very hard to read at high resolutions. Again, you may have to play around to find your preferred display resolution depending on your computer use.

Hope that helps!

3. Larry Fletcher

Dave,

Whoa! Thanks for the great explanation! I really appreciate it!

4. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

also look into adjusting the DPI setting in your display properties. this is how I get around small font sizes with high resolutions.

5. Larry Fletcher

Rob,

I did see that DPI setting. Should I increase that also. I didn't want to messanything up so I didn't touch it.

6. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

the dpi setting has worked great for me as opposed to using a larger font size or manually increasing my icons. give it a shot, if you don't like it you can change it back.

7. Chas_T

Chas_T Supporting Actor

Good stuff here.

One of the items I had a problem with when moving from tube (CRT) to flat panel was an ideal, or fixed resolution on the flat panel. This is one of the trade offs with the flat panel display as when changing screen resolution, I lost clarity.

I used the DPI settings to rectify the problem when the fonts were to small. This was truly an issue with my Dell Lap run at 1600 X 1200 and my Viewsonic VP201mb, run at the same resolution.

The DPI settings tweak was a blessing on the both of these displays to get the text size just right without losing clarity.