What's new

Newbie looking for rock/HT speakers (1 Viewer)

Tom Fullsail

Auditioning
I'm thinking about spending my tax return on a HT setup this year. I figure I've got about $2000 to spend on receiver and speakers. I could probably throw a few more hundred dollars in if it was really worth it. I want to watch movies (looking at a 57" RPTV as well), but my primary enjoyment will come from music - primarily 70's classic rock (Zeppelin, Rush, Stones, Who, Black Sabbath) and newer hard rock (Rage Against the Machine, Soundgarden, Nirvana, Godsmack). I also enjoy softer music like CSN, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, REM, Alan Parsons, so while my tastes are somewhat narrow, it's not all howling guitars.

An audiophile friend (with somewhat similar musical tastes) has recommended the HK AVR-525 which I can get at Onecall.com for about $600 with shipping. I'm trying to figure out if that's a good move (I guess the 525 is last year's model so I can't demo it in a store). Any opinions or other recommendations on that would be much appreciated.

My main question for this forum regards speaker recommendations. I've been searching and reading existing posts, but I'm having trouble getting a good handle on narrowing my choices. I'd like to go listen to some speakers, but want to have an idea as to which brands are likely to best fit my needs. Any recommendations on brand/model in my price range and listening requirements would be greatly appreciated.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
You should atleast take a few of your favorite cds and go listen to the various speakers out there.

A few suggestions:

Paradigm Monitor or Studio
B&W 600 series
PSB
Phase Tech
Polk
Klipsch

It's a matter of taste which you might prefer. I personally wouldn't buy any of their subwoofers but their speakers are all pretty good. It will depend on what you like. Klipsch is a good "love it or hate it" type of speaker.

Subwoofer wise: I'd consider a HSU option, SVS or Adire audio option. These 3 are online dealers for the most part but they are the best bang for you $$.

Try to listen for an extended period of time too. This will tell you if a particular speaker will get fatiguing to you or not. You will know when this occurs. When I get fatigued my ears ring and I feel tired and as if I'd like to turn it off.

Some speakers have the opposite effect on me.

The receiver pick is pretty good. I'm not a huge HK fan due to QC issues but other suggestions would be the Denon 3803 or the Yamaha 1400.

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Tom,

I think if your priority is music, with $2000 you can get a good pair of floorstanding speakers, like,
Rockets RS750 $1499
Axiom M80ti $1100
Klipsch RF7 $1460

But as you said,
I think you want a 5.1 setup (or 6.1 or 7.1), and inside you budget you have a lot of options, like
Axiom Epic60 $2004

You could also try Ascend Acoustic, I think you can buy a good setup for around $2000, buying 4 CMB170 and a CMT340 and probably a VTF3.

Or you could go with four JBL S38II $250 and a JBL S-CENTER II $150 and add an Sub like SVS PB2-Plus $1199 or SVS PB1-ISD $600

Good luck,
Pablo

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I think you can still put together a great system w/ surround w/out sticking to 2ch only. I think the 525 is a great receiver choice, and you can pick it up from www.ecost.com refurbished (with full 2yr factory warranty) for $475. Speaker's are fairly subjective but given your inclination toward's rock i'd think you would really like the JBL Studio series. There are some amazing deals to be had on them at the time since they're soon to be replaced w/ a newer more expensive Studio line. I would also pick up an SVS PC+ or PB2-ISD sub. Here's one system I think would amaze you w/ the $$ you have to spend...

Receiver - HK 525 ($475, ecost)
Mains - JBL S310 ($350, froogle.google.com)
Center - JBL Studio Center ($125, froogle.google.com)
Surrounds - JBL S26 ($135, froogle.google.com)
Sub - SVS 25-31 PC+ ($775, SVS)

5.1 Total - $1860 + SH
7.1 Total - $1995 + SH

If you don't feel the need for flourstanders then the S38s are a great large horizontal bookshelf and you could do those all the way around or just up front w/ S26s in the back. You could also save some $$ by going w/ a SVS 25-31 PCi and have it re-tuned to 22hz free of charge.

If you feel comfortable building a box then there is HUGE value in DIY subs. You could build the equivalent of a PB1+ for around $500 w/ a basic finish (AV12, 500w PE amp) or for $350 for an AV12 & Rythmik 380w amp and a fairly basic finish. If you don't feel comfortable w/ DIY on the sub then SVS is probably the way to go.

Hope this helps :)

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
I'd seriously look into...

Main: DM602 S3 - $500
Center: LCR600 S3 - $400 (if you can get a single 602, go for it)
Surround DM602 S3 - $500
SVS PCi - 25-31 - $549 or PB-1 - $599

Now granted this leaves you with needing a receiver, but you will be unbelieveably shocked by the performance sound you'll get from these speakers when they are almost in your price range...

I listen to all the same music as you and you will absolutely love them. Check out this set up! I got the bigger line of 600s from B&W (DM604, 602, 601, LCR600, SVS20-39) in my 7.1 setup, and all the music sounds better than I could've imagined. Definitely go take a listen for yourself and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks