Newbie looking for guidance on DVD to fit rest of equpment

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon Veencamp, Sep 6, 2001.

1. Jon Veencamp

Jon Veencamp Auditioning

Hi - this is my first post, and I'm looking for some advice or guidance on what DVD features to look for. I don't want to pay for features I won't benefit from because the rest of my equipment isn't good enough to notice the difference, but I don't want to miss out on important features either.
    I'm not an audiophile or even an enthusiast yet, so I don't really know what I'm doing, and have mostly been buying based off buzzwords. I hope I've done OK so far. [​IMG]
    I've been bargain hunting at UBID. This is what I've got so far:
    PIONEER ELITE VSX33TX receiver - DTS AC3 THX Select
    JBL PSW-D110 150w Subwoofer
    4 Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 bookshelf speakers
    Wharfedale Rubiance Center Channel
    Toshiba 36" cf36g40 TV
    Questions:
    1. I see a lot of talk about progressive scan DVD's, but with my standard TV will there be any benefit?
    2. Will every DVD be Dolby DTS compatible or do I need to look for that? Or does my receiver perform that function?
    3. Should I be worried if a DVD player is THX certified?
    Thanks. Any advice welcome.

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

To answer your questions:
    1. No. If you do not have a HD-ready TV that can accept a progressive scan signal, a progressive scan DVD player will not provide any better picture, since you will need to use the player in interlaced mode. Unless you plan on upgrading your TV in the near future, you can save some money here.
    2. While your receiver has a DTS decoder built-in, the DVD player still needs to be able to pass the DTS signal to the player. Many early generation players did not do this, but most current models from the name brand manufacturers provide this function. Some of the "off-brands" (Oritron, etc.) may not be DTS-compatible, though.
    3. THX certification is not important on a DVD player, IMO.
    ------------------
    My DVD Collection
    AFI 100 Films to watch: 40 -> 5

3. Jon Veencamp

Jon Veencamp Auditioning

Thanks Scott! I appreciate the reply. [​IMG]