Newbie looking for advice on subwoofer.

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Joe_Woytasik, Jan 5, 2004.

1. Joe_Woytasik

Joe_Woytasik Auditioning

I am a poor college kid on a budget and looking to add a subwoofer to my current setup. Current setup consists of a yamaha rx-v630 reciever, mtx aal 2230 floor standers with a frequency rsponse of 38hz - 22khz, some old technics surrounds and an old technics center. I know not the greatest setup, but it works. I want a nice sub to fill in the low end a little, but also wouldnt mind replacing the surrounds and center. I am currently looking at the yamaha yst-315 subwoofer, anybody know if this is a decent sub for the 200 dollar price tag? Can anyone point me in the right direction for a sub, or a sub and some new surrounds/center?
    thanks- Joe

2. John S

John S Producer

I am not that high on subs where the driver is less than 12", and not even so hot on those anymore.

I installed a Sony SA-WM500 12" Sub on Saturday, and it was impressive for the $135 spent. I don't think any single driver 10" sub would really keep up with it.

3. Joe_Woytasik

Joe_Woytasik Auditioning

Ok so dont go with a sub less then 12", anybody else have any opinions on subs? Please let me know make and model of sub, also remember i am on a tight budget.
    thanks- Joe

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Well john just mentioned the sony. Thats proably about what I would look for also. But I would look into used stuff too.