Newbie looking for advice on setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FindleyF, Mar 14, 2003.

1. FindleyF

FindleyF Auditioning

I am seriously new to home theater and am just setting up an inexpensive system in my living room. I would like you home theater "pros" to tell me how to "best" connect my components to get the most out the equipment I have.

The following illustrates my current setup.

http://gridironking.com/htsetup1.html

Thank you in advance for your help [​IMG]

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The one big improvement is to get a SVideo cable and go from the SVideo output of the DVD player to the SVideo input on the television.

Take the video cable from "Video Out" on the receiver and move it to Input 2 on the television.

That should optimize the hookups.

3. FindleyF

FindleyF Auditioning

Thx for the imput Bob, I'll get an SVideo cable and get "optimized". For my knowledge sake, why would moving the "Video Out" on the receiver to Input 2 on the TV be better? Also, after connecting the SVideo cable would I still leave the "coaxial" cable connected from the DVD player to the receiver?

I'm studying the forums and would appreciate any knowledge you or any others are willing to share with me.

4. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Findley,

The coaxial cable carries digital audio. You will still need that connection.

S-Video is superior to Composite Video. Here's some info about the two connections. There is another type of connection called component (three wires) that is superior to S-Video, but it doesn't look like your TV has that connection.

Composite video input (the yellow RCA jack) is a 1 channel signal that combines information about chrominance, luminance, picture, and synch. It's the most common connection on video equipment.

S-Video splits chrominance and luminance into two separate signals, creating a better-quality image. S-Video is becoming more common on video equipment.

Bob suggested going directly to the TV because it's one less place to have noise introduced into the picture. Since many receivers don't allow you to upconvert Composite to S-Video, you probably can't switch the video sources through the receiver.

BTW...there is an incredible amount of basic information of this type in the HTF Home Theater Primer Thread. Read it carefully and you'll become an instant HT Geek [​IMG].
    HT Primer

5. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Deleted Double Post.

6. FindleyF

FindleyF Auditioning

Howard I really appreciate your explanation; I will definitely be doing some reading to get up to speed on this stuff. I enjoy computing and home theater looks like it may be mt next pursuit as I can see the addictive nature of the beast. [​IMG] I'm too ready to be a geek!

thx.

7. FindleyF

FindleyF Auditioning

I connected the DVD player to the TV with a SVideo cable; looks great! [​IMG] Got any suggestins on making the VCR video look better?