Newbie looking for advice on budjet sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Junior, Jan 24, 2002.

1. Junior

Junior Auditioning

Hi I'm new here but I've been reading around for a couple days to get an idea what its like here. I am interested in building a sub (and if I had the tools I would try to build the enclosure as well). However with this being my first time and with no tools I'm leaning towards getting a kit of some kind. Before I forget I want to mention that my room is perfect square 12x12ft and about 9ft high. Recently I got a pair of bookshelf speakers and I discovered I need a sub=). My main purpose would be music, about 95%. I have seen soo many recommendations for the tempest and if it were in my budjet or space requirements (space I might be able to work around) then I'd probably go for it but its not... so I'd like to go for 8 or 10 inch sub....12 MAX. My budjet is basically as low as possible without having to regret my decision, so anywhere between $100 and $250 (yea, not much) with $300 being the absolute exception if it really helps. From what I know I think sealed will be my design of choice for its simplicity and better behaved bass. Although I would like tight punchy fast and deep bass, one thing that is not essential for me is how loud it can get. If it can get decently loud that is loud enough for me. I would just buy a premade but building one just seemed like much more fun[​IMG] Is it possible to make a decent music sub for that budjet? Most of the recommendations around here seem to be for slightly bigger budjets with tempest driver[​IMG] Maybe you can help me out for a wimpier sub:b Any help appreciated
    -Junior

2. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Junior,
    Hank Frankenberg and myself have been working on a small 8" sub in a ported enclosure that you might be interested in. If so, send me an email and we can discuss.
    Brian
    [email protected]

3. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Do you have an extra amp laying around that you could use, or would you want/need a onboard plate amp, like you usually see on subs.?

4. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

How about one of these amps ($135 plus shipping):
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/300794.htm
    Check to see if you can get it without the boost, if you can't, you'll have to do the mod it yourself (not supposed to be hard).
    Then one of these drivers ($105 plus shipping):
    http://www.acoustic-visions.com/295185.htm
    That will run you $240 and a little bit for shipping.
    That leaves you $40-$50 in your peak budget listed to find a box.
    So head around to local car audio shops and try and find a nice solid 2-3 ft^3 sealed box to mount the driver in (depending on the volume you find, people here will be able to recommend a good stuffing amount). Won't look all that pretty, but sure will sound nice.
    Then later, if you ever get access to some tools you could build a prettier sealed one. Or a nice EBS allignment vented enclosure.

5. Mark Krawiec

Mark Krawiec Agent

another option to consider is the apex jr amp. It's about as low cost of a decent amp as they come.
    If space is a major issue, then the DVC is a good choice. Jack Gilvey has a nifty small cube based, i think, on the dvc. search for it-it's pretty cute and very small. if you have a bit more room, you can get a shiva (you can get a 5% discount by clicking through the banner at hometheatertalk.) The sealed box is a good way to go because almost any decent box that gives a Q of .7 or lower would be great.
    If space was a major issue, you could design an 8 or 10, but the cost would be about the same.
    None of these would in any way be considered wimpy.

6. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

What about the Stryke Audio SAL-SB10 with the Audio File amp or the Stryke Amp 130. Should give great performance on a $250 budget plus a little more for cabinet. www.stryke.com

7. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

welcome junior,
    parts express has a 10" titanic complete and finished kit for $350. comes with the driver, finished box panels, 250w amp, feet, bracing. aww hell, check it out for yourself, heres the link. i know, its $50+shipping over your max budget [​IMG] . their passive 12" titanic kit runs $320+shipping, $450+ with an amp. like fred said, if ya got an old amp laying around, or even an old receiver, then yer in like flynn on the 12"er. hope this helps.
    edit: news flash... [​IMG] dit dah dit dit dit [​IMG] this just in...PE is currently out of stock on the 10" vance sub...thats too bad for them because if you backorder it you get free shipping

8. Junior

Junior Auditioning

Wow! I certainly didn't expect this many replies this fast! Brian B, I would really like to build it myself, although I know effectively I'm not even doing that since I'll probably end up with a "kit" and secondly, have you tried it yet? Further, I've heard a sealed is better than ported for music - I don't know how much truth there is in it but I've heard this from a couple ppl that I trust, so I'm kinda in a sealed mindset[​IMG]. Asthetically I also prefer sealed. But thanks for giving me that option. Fred, yes I will be needing an amp onboard as I have no spares, but I've heard my audiosource amp 2 in mono mode can power a sub quite well which may allow me to also get a nice new amp for my bookshelfs - but at the moment this is unlikely and I'll probably get a sub amp....hmmm gotta go
    -Junior

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey it's not very often that we get "newbie" threads in the "advanced" area! [​IMG] Welcome aboard Junior (I'll bet Ron E gave you a bit of a hard time about that [​IMG]), I think you'll be surprised at how helpful the DIY crowd here is.

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Junior,
    Yes, I have tried it. And I think it sounds very good for an 8" driver. I think Hank would agree. I've used it for a week or so to augment my ACI Opals in a room about the size as yours. I'm getting pretty strong bass response down into the high 30's, low 40's. For a bedroom I think it's all the sub someone would need. And it will be pretty unobtrusive, too! Putting an 8" driver in a sealed box and calling it a sub is a total waste of time IMHO.
    If you want a kit, then I just won't install the driver or the amp![​IMG]
    If you want a 10" driver in a sealed enclosure then the Titanic 10" kit or something like the 1.5ft^3 enclosure that I built for the Subwoofers.com SV10 is probably the way to go. But then again, that's over the budget that you mentioned.
    Brian

11. Junior

Junior Auditioning

Sorry I got cut off last night. I don't have that much time this time either but I just wanted to know if the Audiosource SW10 or the DLS 10 inch sub on PE were any good. I know their not kits but I'm kinda tempted to stay on the lower end of my budjet. (part #'s 302-629 and 300-630). You can't really do a decent DIY without $200+ can you?= Maybe I'll hold off and get something like a shiva with apex jr a bit later on. Jeff, thanks for the tip about backordered items getting free shipping, which is why I am interested even more in the DLS 10 incher for $100 flat...their out of stock heheheh! Its like $30 for shipping! Thanks for the welcome Philip, perhaps I should of used different terminology?[​IMG] And finally Brian, I'll fire you an email about your sub. Thanks everyone!
    -Junior

12. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

hello again,

i happen to have that audiosource sub. my pops got it free for buying a tv or something about 2 years ago and gave it to me. i've since given it to the GF who uses it with a pair of polk monitor 5's. the polks use a 5" driver with a 5" passive raditor. it sounds ok, it doesnt shake the house, but you can feel it in the floor. it may suit your needs pretty good. the only difference i see between it and that one at PE is mine came with spike feet.