What's new

Newbie lookin for a new TV (1 Viewer)

Keith S

Grip
So I don't know much more than the basics...I have a set of Bose 301 IV's and smaller 161's...no center channel and an older AIWA sub (haha). I have a decent Sony Receiver (which I really wish I could find my manual so I can program the remote! GRR) and a decent sony DVD player. Not sure of the model number off the top of my head....BUT, I'm thinking of investing in a new TV...not sure what's what, I've done some looking around...pricing....etc...And so far this Sony 51" Hi-Scan 1080i CRT Rear-Projection HDTV with Enhanced Memory Stick Slot Model: KDP51WS655, at best buy seems pretty nice. It's on the Best Buy site...I'd post a link but I don't have enough posts yet :frowning: Just looking for some input since I'm not that educated yet when it comes to all this.

But there seems to be a typo since part of the description says "HD Built in" and "HD Ready"....but for $1799 it seems fair. Or I could be wrong...Plus it would help if someone could explain to me the difference between HD Built in and HD Ready...if it even matters that much. THANKS!!

John S

Senior HTF Member
HD Front Projection has gotten so inexpensive. You may want to consider it over the CRT BOX RP Displays.

$1799 seems ok...

HD Built in means it has at least an over the air ATSC HD tuner in it. Often they will have QAM Cable tuners as well and offer cable card as an option.

HD Ready means it can be fed HDTV from external sources, like Satalite, Cable Boxes, and Over-the-Air set top boxes.

Keith S

Grip
What kind of TV's would I be looking for when it comes to Front Projection? Price range? What are the differences, or advantages? THANKS!

John S

Senior HTF Member
The most screaming deal these days is the SP5000, I just ordered one last week from the Infocus store.

It took me quite a while to be accepting of FP. But it is the way for sure, I am a pretty die hard CRT RP fan myself.

I do some installing on the side, and I installed two SP4805's in the past year. Both ere very impressive, but they are only ED, not true HD even though they display HD at Ed resolutions. I'm not big on DLP technology as I see rainbows bad.

Finally the SP5000 was under $1000, I purchased the Factory Refurb myself for under $900.. Free 76" screen included with these.

Just a thought if this sort of pricing and performance had been available 2.5 years ago when I purchased my 60" CRT RP I would not have bought the 60" CRT RP.

I should have it setup this weekend. I will do lots of viewing on it, HD, DVD, and heaven forbid even my Laserdisc player. I have been scared of native 16:9 displays because of my large LD collection, but I am now willing to give it a shot.

Keith S

Grip
Hmm....sounds nice to me! I just don't think I have my home theater setup in a room that work well with FP. Although it's definitely something to look into as it could provide better results with less $$$. At first I was actually looking at a 34" Sony HDTV that was just a regular flat tube tv (Model: KD34XBR960 on bestbuy site) and that was $1899....ouch....

John S

Senior HTF Member
My room stinks.. But by all accounts this projector works great in non dedicated rooms and living rooms. CRT RP isn't so great in these environments, I'd expect the trade offs on the FP to be well worth it.

Here is the other great part.. Infocus gives you 30 days to see if it works for you!!!!!!

At those prices, one just has to give it a shot. Talk about flat panel!!!! I am going to cieling mount mine. Do some googles, I found the Universal cieling mount with extension for a song compared to what the Infocus store is quoting for them. Like $100 for the both of them including shipping.

I see lamps under $300, and some on ebay listed as best offer.

Keith S

Grip
Well I looked at TV's again tonight at Best Buy....I'm really not liking the limited viewing angles of the RP sets. The only thing I could find that I really liked there were the flat screen HDTV's.....and unless I want something really small I'd be spending like $2500+.......eh....

John S

Senior HTF Member
Front FP at under a grand for true hi-def and extreme screen size starts to look better and better huh?

Keith S

Grip
It really is....seems like a rough setup process though....ceiling mounting...screen...etc....and dont the bulbs not last long? Especially if I use it for TV too....

Jimi C

Screenwriter
If you are planning on using this display for daily tv viewing i would not get a front projector. Despite what anyone says i can tell you first hand the quality of a non high def television signal will look like ass, and just in general, digital projectors do not hold a candle to the quality of a CRT display. Not to mention the many other reasons why its a bad idea.. Unless you have a totally dark room PQ will suffer (the image will be washed out). You will be buying a new bulb every 2-3000 hours at $300+ a pop. Also, You need to prepared for the task of running wires across your living room, which unless has a drop ceiling (unlikely) will be a major PITA. Front projectors are really best suited for dedicated rooms and for ocasional use, like movie nights a few days a week or the ocasional gaming night. I use my projector about 3-4 times a week to watch a movie. For regular tv viewing I use an old 36" Tube TV.

Almost forgot to mention the added cost of a decent screen and mount.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Aside from replacing lamps. I see no real reason to not use a projector as one's only display for everything.

The trade offs have been outlined. I finally decided to fp for everything in my living room. I know somebody doing it with an SP4805 now for nearly a year and they really like it and it seems to be working out for them.

I'll give my own impressions this weekend. I watch zero normal TV, OTA HD feeds, lots of DVD and a lot of Laserdiscs.

Let us know what you decide to buy.

John S

Senior HTF Member
FP is a winner!!!!

If your on the fence about this...

$900 with free pulldown 76" screen is a steal for the quality and size you get with the SP5000.

Worked great in my living room, even with a decent amount of light about. It had to be pretty darn bright in the room before performance degraded to a point where it could be noticed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks