What's new

NEWBIE l@@king for any help with purchase of Mitsubishi WS-55511 (1 Viewer)

Howie A

Second Unit
I have been shopping for a new big screen HDTV. It looked like I was going to pick up a Mitsubishi WS-55511
(http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/WS55511.html ).
But after taking a closer look it seems to me that it wont display in 720p, I was just wondering how often this format was used? I am not sure but, if the set can not display this format is there some sort of conversion it might do to compensate allowing me to view it at a lesser quality?
Also this set comes with a HD tuner I am not really sure if I fully understand what this means? I only have regular cable coming into my apartment (cablevision N.Y.) and don't plan on upgrading as of yet. But is there some sort of antenna I can buy in order to receive a HD signal? Someone I spoke to mentioned a Gemini something or other...
Any input on this set and/or opinions will be very helpful.
I just feel like its a SIN to turn down this deal..
Are You Ready For This......
(I feel this is a great deal tell me if I am just gullible.)
The set was listed in this weeks newspaper in
P.C. Richards ad for $2,999.97 and a buddy of mine
quoted me a price of $1,899.97!!!
To just make this a no brainier that saves me $1100.00
How did I even leave the store right?
Thanks Guys

Patrick TX

Stunt Coordinator
You better RUN don't walk to that deal! I just paid $2495 for that set on Saturday! It is an excellent TV, that can be calibrated via the service menu to look incredible. ALL my local HDTV is supposed to be in 1080i. This means I can get my locals via rabbit ears, rooftop antenna, or straight feed cable (no box). I have Time Warner Cable in San Antonio, TX. The Mitsubishi integrated HDTV's will be compliant with the new cable HDTV standards as well. They have firewire inputs, as will ALL of the new cable boxes according to last weeks agreement.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=203016

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Very few RPTVs will display an image at 720p. It is highly unlikely that you can tell the difference between 1080i and 720p on a 55" screen. Most of the major networks are broadcasting 1080i, and those programs in 720p present no problem to any HDTV -- the TV will simply convert it to 1080i.

Your friend either stole the TV or he's giving it to you at cost. $2495 is a steal, and $1900 is - literally - right at manufacturer cost on that set. If your friend is serious (and honest), snap that TV up immediately. Mitsus are very nice, 2nd only to Pioneer in my opinion!

John Royster

Screenwriter
If you're an xbox fan - a lot of HD games are coming out in 720p and a mits will not accept the signal.

Otherwise its a fine set at a great price.

Howie A

Second Unit
I am a HUGE console gamer I've done the Beta for xbox live
and I also have the network adapter for my ps2.
Most of my free time is spent gaming..
I know its not great to play too many hours on this RPTV's
but I also heard that the set comes with a feature that moves the picture slightly to avoid or lessen any burn in.
Is this true?
Now aside from the burn in worries, the format issue of the 720p that was a concern of mine but I thought that there is a conversion function that would allow me to see a similar not as clear picture.. Is that a wrong assumption?

John Royster

Screenwriter
The mitsubishi will not display or accept or even convert a 720p input, like many xbox games (and even more future ones).

So you just won't be able to take advantage of the nirvana that is high definition gaming.

I love my mitsubishi and have tweaked it to the gills. But the fact that I can't enjoy tony hawk pro skater 4 in 720p is making me want to sell it and get a different set.

Many other manufacturers will accept a 720p input and convert it to something the TV can display - normally 1080i.

Howie A

Second Unit
What other sets offer all or most of these features similar to this set and also allow for 720p on top of 1080i and 480p/i?

Although I don't think I'll get as good a deal on a different set as the one he quoted me here...

Howie A

Second Unit
Ok, so I finally broke down and went to PC Richard in hopes to get a better idea of whether or not I really want this set. I was really hoping to buy it today, but after this visit with the set, I was overly disappointed (not to offend anyone who owns it). When speaking to one of the people there, they said that a Mitsubishi rep was in and set up all their Mitsubishi sets. We sat down in front of a 55 inch and I think another reason we did this was so I can sway my fiance' into thinking how great of a set it was. We saw the rest of PC Richard behind us in the reflection of the screen and couldn't concentrate on the film itself. I saw it displaying in 480i and p and I'm not really sure I saw a difference. Believe me it hurts me plenty to be writing such negative comments on my dream tv that I was hoping to have in my living room. After seeing regular cable and not being that impressed, I said to the guy I'm noticing scan lines big time, so he said check out the HD signal from the antenna of the football game and again I wasn't too impressed with that either. I would say we were sitting about 4-6ft away. I really wanted the set and feel now that maybe I was expecting much more then it is capible of. Does any think the set was just not calibrated correctly? After reading such great things about it, I am just a little rattled. Can anyone convince me that what I saw in the store will not be what I saw at home? The other thing is that our apartment is not huge, so we will be sitting anywhere between 4 to 6 feet away, will that matter? I actually read a review for the same set without the HD integrated tuner and it had a lot of great things to say, if anyone is interested, here is the link. http://www.e-gear.com/doc/275503168846730.bsp

Users who are viewing this thread