Newbie: Kipsch Speakers or something else? Not sure what I need

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Alex_C, May 12, 2003.

1. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

Oops. I misspelled Klipsch.

I have a room about 20' x 25'. I want to buy new speakers for my home theater. I'm no audiophile. I don't even know if I'm an enthusiast. I just want movies to sound good. I doubt we'll listen to music because the room is so far out of the way that there's no reason to be in there except to watch a movie.

I listened to the RF-35's and they sounded pretty good. They were about $800. I know the RF-3II were out before the 35's. They cost a lot less. And then there's the RF-5 which is a little more. Has anyone listened to the RF-35's next to the RF-3II? Do I need to spend a ton of money to have a decent home theater?

Any other speaker recommendations?

I could use a lot of help!

2. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I wouldn't think the RF-3ii's would sound that much different from the 35's, although I haven't heard the newer speaker. Using horns, Klipsch have a sound that sets them apart from most other speakers. They are detailed and bright. Many love them and many can't stand them. Personally, I love the sound and they are noted to be good for home theater. They're also very efficient, so you don't need nearly as much power to drive them. However, they're very finicky as to what they're mated to. A bright sounding receiver, imo, sounds horrible with Klipsch, but certain brands such as Rotel, Denon, and Harman Kardon seem to match up nicely with them.

What I'd do is audition Klipsch along side other speakers to determine which type of sound appeals to you personally.

As far as cost, it depends on what your budget is, as well as what you feel is "expensive." Perhaps, you could let us know how much you want to spend for what gear and we'd be able to better fill you in. Also, for home theater, most buy from 5 to 7 speakers, along with a subwoofer. Certain companies, including some great online companies, package all of the speakers together at a discount.

Good luck and happy hunting. [​IMG]

3. Alex_C

Alex_C Stunt Coordinator

I can spend around $1,500 on the speakers (front, center, sub, rear). I can probably afford the new 35's but is it really necessary for me? I heard the 35's and they sounded good. I've never heard the 3's because no store around me has them.

I listened to B&W and they sounded really "tinny" to me.

I also listened to Phase Tech and they were ok.

I'm going to look at Polk this weekend. Any opinions on Polk?

I'll have $1,000 left to get a receiver and a DVD player. Any tips there are also appreciated!

Thanks for all the help.

4. bruin

bruin Second Unit

Check out DIY kits like the ones from GR-Research.com. I have Klipsch RP3's and just got the AV1+s... I don't have any woodworking skills so I had the enclosures built. Heck you can pay to have the crossovers made. For the price you pay for a prebuilt kit (any kit) it will rival something that costs at least thrice as much. I'm not trying to advertise any specific company but from my experience paying $600 for a built DIY is like buying a a $2500 pair retail. Plus you get to customize how it looks.

My best recommendation is not to rush your decision making and you HAVE TO listen to speakers you're planning to buy and keep an open mind and try to listen to every type of speaker (diy, commercial, etc). Post something in the DIY if you want to "rent" a built kit..who knows someone may let you try a pair out.

I'm not an audiophile but I love good sound (ie. flat response, clarity etc etc...).

5. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Again, I don't expect the 35's to sound all that different from the 3ii's. You have a pretty big room that you're working with, so let's say you could get the RF 3ii's for about $600. That leaves you with $900 for the other 4 speakers. The Klipsch RC-3ii can be had for about $250 and a good sub, such as the Hsu VTF-2 or a lower priced SVS cost in the range of $450-$550 respectively. That leaves you $200 for the surrounds. You could find some decent surrounds at this price, but I don't think they could be the Klipsch. It is more important to match the front three speakers, than to have timbre matched surrounds. I have all Klipsch up front and different speakers as surrounds and they work fine. As a matter of fact, I use Radio Shack Pro 9's, I think they're called, as my surrounds and the updated version is on sale right now at Radio Shack, on close out, for $49 a speaker. If you're interested, just make sure you get the ones with the lineaum drivers. That would leave you with a hundred bucks or so for cables or the like if you went with the Hsu and depending on what bargains you found on the Klipsch.

As for the receiver, I use separates for my Klipsch, but have heard good things about Denons and Harman Kardons. Try something like the Denon 2803 or an HK in your price range with the 35's. If they sound good with them then they probably will with the 3ii's.

As for DVD players, try the Panasonics and the Toshiba 4800.

One last thing, room accoustics will play a big role in how either of the Klipsch speakers sound. Too hard surface areas all around will accentuate the brightness of the speakers.