Newbie in the planning stages of small room HT

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Alex Stittle, Jul 30, 2006.

1. Alex Stittle

Alex Stittle Auditioning

Hey everyone, I'd first like to say this forum is fantastic! It has taught me many things already, but alas, I am still a little unclear on certain things.

Im currently looking into setting up a small HT in my room (14' x 14' x 8') and have a few questions about the components Im looking into. The way things are currently looking, I won't have my HT setup until around Dec-Jan.

The TV Im looking into buying is the new KDL-40XBR3 by Sony. I plan on sitting approximately 9-10' away from the screen which unfortunately puts me just about against the back wall so my rear sound is not going to be optimal. Im willing to make this sacrifice as eventually I will move into a nicer room.

For the sound I was looking into the Onkyo HT-S990THX (an HTIB) which is 7.1 and might make my room a little crowded. A decent 5.1 system would probably suit me better, maybe the Onkyo HT-S590? The reason Im looking at Onkyo's is because I read somewhere that they use standard connectors and setup so they are upgradable by swapping out parts. This is a nice feature for when I eventually get to a bigger room and want to up my equipment. Although by then I'll probably just buy a whole new system [​IMG] Gotta start somewhere though.

For my setup Im looking to connect an Xbox360 (HDMI), PS3(HDMI) and computer(DVI) to the system. My confusion is regarding how to exactly connect these things up. The reciever from Onkyo does not support HDMI so does this mean to get my Xbox360 to play it's sound through the system I would have run HDMI to the TV and the TV out the sound to the reciever? If so, would that cause any lag in the sound? Also, for the computer I assume I will have to have one cable for the video to go to the tv and one for the audio to go to the reciever?

My budget for the sound system is probably going to be somewhere around 1,000 for everything. Speakers + reciever + sub. This isn't the greatest budget but until the lottery pulls through, this is what it's gotta be [​IMG]

Any comments/suggestions on my questions would be a great help! Thanks everyone!

2. Alon Goldberg

Alon Goldberg Screenwriter

Also don't forget to budget for A/V cabling, speaker cabling, sub cabling, speaker stands, surge protector, etc. [​IMG]

3. Alex Stittle

Alex Stittle Auditioning

Hey Alon thanks for the response [​IMG]

The audio/video setup makes a lot more sense now. I was wondering if it was possible to split the audio from the video when using HDMI cables (ie: an HDMI for audio and a digital coax for audio) and it looks like this is the case.

Thanks for the help!

4. David-Wright

David-Wright Stunt Coordinator

14' x 14' isn't the smallest room (my first HT was 12' x 7.5'). I have a strong bias towards front projectors. So have you completly ruled out a projector. For the price of that Sony you could get a projector that will poduce a much larger picture and you will save an extra foot because of the depth on the TV.