Newbie in need of speaker help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bob_Campbell, Jan 7, 2004.

1. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Ok all,

First thanks for taking the time to read this thread. I'm moving into a new apt in 10 days and want to get a good surround system my budget is around 1200-1500. Oh and my room dimentions are 15'10" x 22'.

THeses are the current speakers that i'm looking at and my current setup.

Steup:
    Denon 3800 DVD
    Panny E80 DVD REC
    DENON 1804 Reciever
    Toshiba 46h83

Possible speakers:

Rocket ELT - sub VTF-2
    Ascend series 2000 - sub VTF-2
    Axiom Epic 50 or grand master - sub VTF-2

Which of these would you recomend, are there any other speakers to consider. Oh btw this is for a 6.1 up to 7.1 possibility.

Thanks to all that reply

Bob

2. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I have not heard the Axiom’s (I am sure that they are a fine value), but either the ELTs or the Ascends would make you very happy. I prefer the ELT center, so I would opt for the ELTs, especially as you plan on a sub upgrade in any case.

That Hsu VTF-2 will be a fine addition to any of the packages. You might check with AV123 and see what they will charge for their UFW-10 instead of the ELT sub (I’m pretty sure that they will give some kind of package price).

But I don’t really think that you can go wrong with any of your choices.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I would suggest considering an SVS for a subwoofer. You can't beat the bass you get from any of their subs at any of their price ranges. You can easily mate a subwoofer with other speakers no problem, it's not like mixed front left and right or center speakers.

Other than that, the rockets/ascend/axioms are all good speaker choice, none should disappoint.

4. RandyKudor

RandyKudor Stunt Coordinator

Lew,

You mention you prefer the ELT center over the Ascend center.. Have you even directly compared the two in a listening test? If yes, what was it that you heard that made the difference for you?

-R

5. Lew Crippen

Nothing that scientific Randy—my observation comes from listening to both at very different times, under very different conditions. What I try to do in these cases is to determine how the dialogue comes through under difficult conditions (explosions, machine guns and general chaos).

What I do is set the volume so that normal speech is more or less (OK, mostly more) normal. Then I try to see how easy (or hard) it is to get whispers and dialogue under difficult circumstances.

Not at all an A/B or double blind approach.

Personally, I’d be happy with either the Ascends or Rockets—I just felt that the ELT center was a bit better—a different evaluation might provide a different answer (and I know that Curtis will feel differently).

For me the weakest part of the ELT system is the sub (not bad at its price point, to be sure). And here it is already going to be something different.

6. Bob_Campbell

Bob_Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Also will these speakers be enough for the size of my room?
    or might they be to much?

thanks
    Bob

7. Lew Crippen

I have heard the ELTs driven by that 1804 in Dallas in a similar size (perhaps a bit smaller) room that was open on one end and that had pretty high ceilings. There was no problem hitting reference levels, but you might want to check with AV123—they will be quite honest in their assessment.

I have not heard the Ascends with the 1804, but I have no doubt that it would drive them to satisfactory levels as well. I’m sure that a call or email to them would provide accurate information.

If you prefer the classic black look, that could be enough to tip the scales toward the Ascends. I read a posting from Mark S. (head of AV123) in reply to a person who had to have that black look recommending the Ascends. On the other hand, if you like wood, the ELTs have an edge. You can get a choice of finishes with the Axioms—but it is vinyl, not real.

I know that this last bit has nothing to do with sound, but a good many people have a view as to looks as well as sound.

If I were you, I’d try and see if there are people in your area who will demonstrate these systems. I know that audioenvy.com has listings of ELT owners and there is one for Ascend as well. Plus you could post on the appropriate sites and see if there are any takers. Or you could take advantage of these companies very generous offers (30 days or so) and check them out in your own home. You are out the shipping for returns, but it is not too bad an approach.

In any case, good luck with your decision. It will be fun making the choice, and I repeat that I don’t think that you can make a bad one (given these companies).