What's new

Newbie, I want to hire an installer (1 Viewer)

MichaelMcF

Auditioning
Hi, first post here. Looks like a great site. I am purchasing a Toshiba 57H82 with new home theater and DVD player. Best Buy is asking $2199 for the Toshiba and I can get the same thing form OneCall.com for $1,700. Here is my question... if I had gotten from BestBuy I was going to hire them to calibrate/install/wires etc etc. If I order from OneCall, they'd just deliver and I'd like to hire a professional to put it all together for me. Does anyone have any advice on how to go about hiring a reputable installer. I live in Bergen County NJ... thanks for any advice!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Given that you're looking at an RPTV and a DVD player and not at a major construction/DYI project, why not just connect the system yourself? The RPTV will need some sort of calibration, however. If you just stick with the user menus and a test disc that's also something you can do yourself.

As far as a full grayscale calibration, Best Buy's service techs don't have the proper test equipment nor the training.

MichaelMcF

Auditioning
Jack, thanks for the reply. I may have to do it myself, but I wanted to check out the pricing of having it installed. BestBuy was willing to hide wires, etc.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just keep your eye on the bottom line, Michael. Check the local yellow pages for some installers; if they’re going to charge you less than $500 (i.e., the difference between BB and OneCall’s prices), then you’re ahead.

But there’s also the risk and the hassle factor. It seems to me that mail ordering and finding an installer for the OneCall route is a major hassle for something like a RPTV. Especially if, in the end, there’s a problem with the TV after it’s delivered - not a good thing when you’ve mail ordered. If it is damaged in shipping, or if it’s DOA, who’s responsible for the next shipping turnaround (which surely is at least a hundred or more one-way for something that big)? All things you need to consider. If there is a problem, it will eat up those savings in a hurry.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

DanaA

Screenwriter
I know this is a little bit off of what you wanted to know, but I feel you SHOULD do it yourself. First, I'd buy or rent an Avia callibration disc. I think Deepdiscount.com sells them for something like thirty five dollars, shipped. Then, I'd do all the connecting yourself. Definitely do some searches on how to set the contrast, etc. on your set. The reason I feel you should do this is because you'll learn a lot in the process. I can't tell you how many times I've had to tinker with my gear and, if I hadn't done it myself, I would have never become adept at it. Anything new can be intimidating, but also rewarding. At some point, it becomes intuitive. Also, the people at HTF will be glad to help you out, so, if questions/issues arise, we'll help you out. Good luck which ever way you choose to go.

MichaelMcF

Auditioning
Thanks guys.. Still shopping around, going to the Wiz today, they are having massive clearance sales. Intent on the Toshiba 57H82. I will attempt to do this myself, but I always had a hard time with simple cable/vcr/stereo stuff... so I will be counting on you guys to answer some dumb questions... :) thanks for the advice.

Bill Kane

Screenwriter
And work on background knowledge by browsing the Beginners Primer & FAQs accessed by the click-me atop the Basics Area Forum header.

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
Michael,

I don't know of a custom installer in this (or any) area that would touch this job. There's (really) no money in it and any problems that occur tend to become the installers problem. I suggest that you find an enthusiast in your area to help. It will be cheap help and they'll probably give you an education. You can then use the money you save to get an ISF certified person to calibrate your TV. Just to give you an example of the potential cost I charge $95 per man per hour with a 4 hour minimum and that's if I sold the equipment. Good luck.

ChrisTheg

Agent
Mike, first of all I wouldn't trust someone from BB to come within 200 feet of my gear. That has nothing to do with who I work for, but everything to do with the fact that the extent of their knowledge and ability usually tops out at bringing the box to the car. In my case the most obvious of people to install an deliver would be your local Tweeter Etc. They can do everything from deliver the TV to run the wires in the wall, if need be, and teach you how to calibrate the tv as they do it for you. Its not expensive compared to the damage that could be caused by someone not knowing what their doing messing with it. If you think that you can do it, more power to you. I think its great when customers teach themselves how to use their equipment. Just remember to be careful when purchasing something from an online retailer because if their not authorized to be selling the product and, something happens to the tv, your stuck.

Users who are viewing this thread