Newbie HTPC Q, involving video card

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Adam.Heckman, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I know that video card threads are not exactly rare here, but I hope that somebody takes the time to help me.

I'm new and want to get into the HTPC. I have a Philips 30pw850h HDTV. I would love to be able to use it as a monitor for regular use and to see how DVDs play on it. My current video card is a Geforce4 mx 420. It has S-video out. However, it cannot put out HDTV signal (1080x1920, correct?). I also have power strip. I wonder if I am doing something wrong and I should be able to make it work, or do I need a new card. And can somebody point me to a card that will work well with a price cap of 200. Some gaming will be involved.
    Thanks ahead of time for any/all responses I get to this thread.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I've had a lot of difficulty getting 1920x1080i (and forget about progressive!) output from my geforce 4 ti 4400. Supposedly, it is a driver issue. I've given up on it, since I could never find a driver that would make it work. I doubt it would work on your geforce mx card either.

You can't output HDTV signals over S-video. You would need a TV that accepts a VGA plug as input, or possess a VGA-to-component transcoder. Definitely you will need Powerstrip to get things working.

Maybe someone with an ATI card can help out? The new AIW Radeon's have component output and support 1920x1080i right?

3. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I did more research myself and have come to the conclusion that most people would say, get a new video card that's compatible with the ATI 'dongle' vga-to-comonent adapter.
    I could do this, and my problems would be solved, except it won't output DVDs at anything but 480i or 480p. I was really hoping to see some upscaled DVDs.
    Any other options out there?

4. Erik*R

Erik*R Agent

www.digitalconnection.com/Products/Video/mdp120.asp High-Definition Decoder ATSC Tuner PCI Card
    looks like $289 for the card and then if you need dvi out another 89 for a daughter card.

Quick edit... I dont know about digitalconnection i just googled for HDTV Video Card.. and that came up as an example. I am sure there are more HDTV cards out there [​IMG] And im sure with enough tweaking you could get your geforce to work. [​IMG]