newbie HT system questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris s l, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Chris s l

Chris s l Auditioning

i like to have little system for my roon(15 x 15 x 12) not the high end but just enough power....i've been reading lot of reviews and posts from this site and other sites as well...but some says it good some r not...i have pretty good system in my car(800w 12" sub with 4 x 110 three ways and some decent HU) i can pretty much decide products for the auto...BUT FOR THE HT SYSTEM I KNOW NOTHING..and too many products, it all look same to me

my budget is about around $700 ...i was thinking getting the Kenwood HTB-504 or denon 1602, JBL NSP1 with a decent sub....what will be a better system?

i will be watching dvds mostly......

another question is about the BOSE system....my brother(right next door) has it with a sony receiver..i can pretty much tell what he's watching it...also my parents have'em(i think my bro paid around 2k and my parents were 2.5k) it sounds pretty good but i never actually watched a whole movie or listened any music with the bose set...not just from this site but also on others..i read about the "BOSE IS OVERPRICED" and i agree(especially the weak base) but i don't they are CRAP at least...

heres my question....what are some similar systems that are about same quality as the BOSE system(not the price wise) and what are some of the systems that u guys recommend for about the same price range?....i'm just curious

last question...can u guys list me some good/cheap online stores to buy the systems? i only could find few...

thanks in advance

chris

2. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I have never been a big fan of Bose but then again we are talking about your ears and not mine!! I know alot of people don't like HT in a Box equipmnent but your budget is going to limit your choices. I would recomend the Polk Audio RM6600 or the RM7200 Systems. These are the two that I'm looking at for a bedroom system. Spend some time at the retailers in your area and audition as many systems as time and the sales guy's patience will allow. After you've found a set up that's right for you, check out www.Sounddistributors.com . I bought my Surround speakers from them and was very pleased with the price and delivery took 5-6 days (UPS ground)

3. Duncan Barth

Duncan Barth Stunt Coordinator

In some ways home theater is similar to car audio. You've got a similar audio 'chain'. But in many ways its completely different.

When you aren't dealing with the NVH of a vechile, you can concentrate a lot more on audio fidelity.

I'd strongly recommend *against* buying speakers online that you haven't heard before. Instead, take some time to educate yourself as to what the different options sound like - I'm sure you'll be surprised as to the differences.

Bring a couple CDs with music that you're familiar with, and try them out on different systems. See if you can do some listening at one or more dedicated HiFi/Home Theater stores in addition to the usual Good Guys/Circuit City/etc. places.

Once you've put in some listening, I think you'll have a much clearer picture of the direction you want to be taking.

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I agree with Duncan about buting speakers on line if you hav not heard them before. I has trying to state that you should audition any speaker BEFORE you buy-em. I tried to purchase the speakers that I wanted locally but no one ever had anything in-stock. My online purchase turned out great...the exact speaker that I was looking for at a price that the the local shops would not match, and I got them faster than ordering them from the local guys. Would I have ordered them without hearing them first, NO WAY!!