Newbie. HT question

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia
Hi Guys,

My first post.

Question:

I am in the process of moving to a new place next month. The living room + dinning room is around 25x25.

I am planning to put together basic HT system together.
My budget is very limited. I will use it 90% for movies(dvd) and 10% of jazz or classical music. I do not like my sound too loud. But I do like good quality.

Here is my list so far:

* Sansung DLP widescreen 46" (2 hdmi)
* Denon AVR-587 or AVR-687
* Oppo dvd player (I need one that can play DVR+R
* HSU Ventriloquist VT-12 (with STF2-SUB) (size of the
speakers matter)

My plan is to use HDMI from [dvd, HD cable box receiver] to the tv and run coaxial dig from [dvd,HD cable receiver] to the DENON for audio.

Will my system be okay for entry level ?? will I get decent ss effect?

TIA

SethH

Senior HTF Member
That should be a very good setup. I've never heard the Ventriloquist setup, but I've heard mostly good things about it. And Hsu and SVS are two of the best sub brands out there, so you've made a pretty good choice there.

Something else to consider would be buying the VT12 setup off ebay or somewhere like that and then picking up the SVS PB10 sub. IMO you'd have a slightly better sub, but not leaps-and-bounds better. By purchasing the VT12 off ebay the two setups would probably be very similar in price.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Just keep in mind that the VT-12 are $200 satellite speakers. These speakers are very nice in a small room, but will struggle in a room that is 25x25. What is your speaker budget, including subwoofer?

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia
My budget for speakers+SUB no more than $700-800. Bookshelfs will be okay. As long that they are not too big.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I agree satellites in a 25x25 room will get lost no matter how good they are. The Vent with Hsu sub is a great combo but a room that size you will definatley want to consider bookshelves. Aperion makes a speaker pkg that includes a sub for 800 and free shipping. The speakers get good reviews but the sub won't be anything near an SVS or Hsu. You can also get a complete pkg from av123(great company) here http://www.av123.com/products_produc...s&product=92.1 for 776. SVS also makes a bookshelf pkg that is pushing your budget at 999 plus shipping although they sometimes have one in b-sock(how I got mine) for 899. Came to 1000 with the shipping. If not I would go with the first two options.

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia

I looked at the aperion webside. Not bad. The bookshelf are not that big.

One question: the room is 25x25 including both dinning and living room. The system will be in the half of the living room. Maybe 15x15. Is that still a problem for the HSU sat?

Thanks guys for all the help.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
From the sounds of it its the Hsu pkg your aiming for. The only one who can judge the sound is you. 15x15 isn't bad it depends on how loud you want also. Personaly I would go the av123 route but others might say otherwise. They all have good return policies so you could audition the Aperions and the av123 and then go from there. Its better than buying from one and wondering what may have been with another.

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia

Thanks for taking your time and answering. I will re-consider my speakers pkg.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Remember; audition, audition, audition. You never want to be left wondering what might have been. If you don't like them you can alwyas return them. The one thing about the Hsu pkg is its FAR better than those other cubes in the stores and it does come with your choice of Hsu sub. But cubes and/or small speakers due to physics can only do so much. Depends on what your aiming for and your usage.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
The Athenas are halfway decent. One thing to remember is to match the F-C-R speakers. Not matching the fronts and center is a big no-no. If its size then go with the Hsu pkg with STF-2 sub or the Aperions with an SVS or Hsu sub.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
The complete Hsu system with STF-2(nothing lower than this) will be 600 while a 5.0 system from Aperion will be 520 then you need a sub from SVS of Hsu which can be had for aprox. 400. Check the b-stock section of SVS where they have a bunch of PB10's subs for under 400.

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Ok one more thing. I just looked at the JBL's and while JBL can make some good speakers its usually not until you get into thier really high end stuff where quality really comes through. 100 for those? I wouldn't pay more than 50. You said size matters; Did you look at the dimentions of the JBL's?!!?? For that size you might as well go for the complete SVS system as the SVS speakers are only a little bigger than those. The Aperions and Hsu speakers are smaller than those.

amigohts

Agent
Real Name
Junior R. Mejia
Thanks guy.!

It is hard to buy when the budget is tight. I am buying a new house that is why my budget is so limited. I think i have to do more research with the speakers or go with the original HSU pkg with the STF-2 sub

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Like I said size does matter for sound as well as quality parts and design. Assess what and how much your going to use the system for. If you were going with the JBL's I would ditch those and go the SVS SBS 01 route. If its smaller then I would go with an Aperion 5.0 system with an Hsu or SVS sub or the complete Hsu pkg. Another set to consider is Orb Audio. I have not heard these but they do get rave reviews and they have an auditioning policy much like the other internet direct brands. http://www.orbaudio.com/

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els