Newbie ?: How much of a gap is acceptable to keep sub airtight?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Christman, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Jason Christman

Jason Christman Auditioning

I started cutting the MDF for my Adire Alignment Tempest sub tonight. I test fit the outside peices together, and while they are pretty square, there are slight gaps in 2 of the joints (where the edge wasn't cut quite straight). I'm using just a circular saw with a guide so it's hard to get a perfectly 100% straight cut. I tried snapping a few pics, but the gaps can't really been seen in the photos. They are less than 1/16". Will caulking seal these gaps up ok, or do I need to recut these sides? Thanks!

Jason

2. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Caulk will work. I had a gap on the base of my pyramid sub and even though I couldn't hear or feel any air seeping, I knew that it was still possible for air to pass through.

I tested it by blowing into the seem and the air would go through the cracks.

A little caulk and it solved the problem.

3. Jason, the gaps won't stand a chance if you glue up the enclosure with Gorilla Glue and clamps!
    [​IMG]

4. Jason Christman

I've seen other references to Gorilla Glue. Can I get it locally somewhere, like Home Depot? I was planning on screwing and glueing the box as I don't have a lot of clamps. I was going to just use yellow wood glue, but I might try the Gorilla Glue if I can get a local source.

Jason

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I've seen it at my local Home Depot

6. Jason Christman

I picked some up at Sears Hardware today. It's great stuff. Gaps are all closed up tight. (They weren't really visible at all once I screwed everything down though.) [​IMG]
    Jason: