What's new

Newbie ?: How much of a gap is acceptable to keep sub airtight? (1 Viewer)

Jason Christman

Auditioning
I started cutting the MDF for my Adire Alignment Tempest sub tonight. I test fit the outside peices together, and while they are pretty square, there are slight gaps in 2 of the joints (where the edge wasn't cut quite straight). I'm using just a circular saw with a guide so it's hard to get a perfectly 100% straight cut. I tried snapping a few pics, but the gaps can't really been seen in the photos. They are less than 1/16". Will caulking seal these gaps up ok, or do I need to recut these sides? Thanks!

Jason

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Caulk will work. I had a gap on the base of my pyramid sub and even though I couldn't hear or feel any air seeping, I knew that it was still possible for air to pass through.

I tested it by blowing into the seem and the air would go through the cracks.

A little caulk and it solved the problem.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Jason, the gaps won't stand a chance if you glue up the enclosure with Gorilla Glue and clamps!
:D

Jason Christman

Auditioning
I've seen other references to Gorilla Glue. Can I get it locally somewhere, like Home Depot? I was planning on screwing and glueing the box as I don't have a lot of clamps. I was going to just use yellow wood glue, but I might try the Gorilla Glue if I can get a local source.

Jason

Jason Christman

Auditioning
I picked some up at Sears Hardware today. It's great stuff. Gaps are all closed up tight. (They weren't really visible at all once I screwed everything down though.) :emoji_thumbsup:
Jason:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks