What's new

NEWBIE: How do I start to build (1 Viewer)

Josh Vichness

Auditioning
Hey,

I know AVSFORUMS is the place to ask most HTPC questions, but their attitude towards neophytes like myself tends to scare me. By neophyte, I mean, neophyte at HTPC, not PC's in general. I have built over 50 computers in my day but now we are dealing with components I have never worked with and I yield to this forum for help. I have looked all over for a newbie FAQ but have not found one.

My current equiptment is a Mits 55807 TV, a Sony DB940 receiver, a Sony 530 DVD Player, and a Phillips DSR6000 DirecTivo unit. The features I want out of my HTPC would be:

1. Picture equivalent to Progressive-Scan Player (Panny RP-91)

2. HDTV OTA and/or DirecTV (all 3 channels of it) decoding

3. Ability to use a better line doubler than the Mits does on its own for non digital signals

4. Ability to pass DD5.1 and DTS5.1 signal via optical coax or TOSlink

4. The obvious ability to play MP3's, CD's, etc.

5. Ability to control it all from my Phillips Pronto

6. Not losing my Tivo service

I am assuming I am starting with a AMD1Gig with at least 500Mb of RAM and as big of a harddrive as I can get. From there, where do I go? What is the best DVD-Drive out there? What type of software runs it? How can I pass my DirecTV signal through a line doubler and but still have it run through the Tivo? What type of soundcard do I need to get? If I get a wireless keyboard, can I duplicate it onto my Pronto? How pricey is all of this?

I am sorry for the overall generalizations, but as I said earlier, I cannot find a good FAQ for people who know computers, know home theater, but dont know the Home Theater Computer parts needed. This forum helped me decide on my Mits55807 and was definitely the deciding factor for my DB940 and Sony subwoofer. Hopefully someone out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Jpsj

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Actually, I haven't noticed that "anti neophyte" feeling you have over at AVSForum but on the other hand there is nothing wrong with this forum either. :)
I'll just add some input on the topics I have something to say about:
3. http://www.dscaler.org ; also, you need a TV card from their list of supported cards and a graphics card that gives good HTPC picture quality, which probably from what I have read means an ATI Radeon card of some kind (despite the fact that Nvidia makes better drivers).
4. The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard seems to be considered a good clean-sounding card with digital outs. There have been some problems reported over at AVS, you might want to do a search. http://www.m-audio.com
5. http://www.evation.com/irman/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks