What's new

Newbie Hookup Question - please help! (1 Viewer)

RobertSing

Agent
My TV is an older model and it only has 1 S-video input and no component video inputs. My new receiver has a bunch of different inputs. I want to use the S video out to connect to the TV and use the receiver to switch between DVD, DSS, VCR, and other components. Will this work? Right now I have to use an S-video switching box which is a real pain to get up and switch.

My DVD player has component video out and the receiver has component video inputs. Would I gain anything by using these even though I will use S video from the receiver to the TV? Am I hurting anything by doing it this way or should I stay with S video exclusivly?

I've heard on the forum component isn't a huge improvement over S-video. Is this generally true?

Thanks for the help.

Chad Parks

Stunt Coordinator
Unless you have a expensive receiver, it will not convert the component signal from your DVD player to S-Video.

So just make sure that you're using S-Video for EVERYTHING and you should be fine. If you need to hook something up that only has composite outputs, make sure you hook the composite out from your receiver into the TV as well.

Jim_Stu

Stunt Coordinator
Bob,

In general, it is difficult to tell the difference between

component video and S-video on TVs 32" or less. Component

video has proven to be 5% better on 36" TVs than S-video.

Therefore, if your TV is less than 33", I would use S-video

for all inputs to your receiver. The Entech/Monster converters are about $100.00 each. and a you can find a cheaper one ($20.00) at Radio Shack.

My Video:

Cable>VCR>Entech Converter> Receiver (via S-video)

DVD> Receiver (via S-video)

Receiver>Sony WEGA(via S-video)

If your receiver is less than 2 years old and cost over

1000 USDs, it may have internal composite to S-video

converters.

Jason Wolters

Stunt Coordinator
My DVD player has component video out and the receiver has component video inputs. Would I gain anything by using these even though I will use S video from the receiver to the TV? Am I hurting anything by doing it this way or should I stay with S video exclusivly?
1. No- You will not gain anything- not even sure that would work.
2.Stay with the s-video. You need a HDTV to gain from the component outs. Forget those outputs are there. :)

Harman

Auditioning
Hi,

I'm also a newbie in this area. I have a Sony WEGA 25" TV with component inputs so that's what I'm using for the DVD. Comparison with S-Video - I can say that there is a difference even on a 25" TV but it's not that much. I did a comparison using S-Video and Component (don't laugh, using the normal AV composite cables). I found that the picture produced using component is more solid - no wavy effect (as I found using S-Video). So, if your TV can take it, use it. But if you're thinking of using it to connect to the AV receiver, I've read that the input that goes into the receiver should be the same as that coming out of the receiver to the TV.

Harman

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks