1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie here - What do you think?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesMartin, Aug 1, 2001.

1. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

Hi everyone, first off I would like to say that this seems to be a great forum. Everyone seems very mature unlike some other forums I belong to because of my other interests.
    I am brand new to home theater but being into car audio for a number of years I can appriciate truly good, clean sound so I decided to purchase a HT. I just found this site today and I ordered my stuff yesterday. Tell me what you think.
    Onkyo TX-DS595 receiver 399.00 shipped
    Onkyo DX-C380 Cd player 169.00 shipped
    Klipsch Quintet 5 speaker package - 330.00 Shipped
    Klipsch KSW-10 Sub - 245.00 Shipped
    Total = 1143.00
    I also will have my VCR and digital cable hooked up along with my PlayStation 2, also my DVD player for a couple more months.
    Tell me what you guys think about this set up and also I need to know what type of digital cables are good quality. I don't want the BEST right now cause I am strapped for cash after this purchase.

2. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

Welcome to the HTF James [​IMG]
    Sounds like a nice setup. I'm sure enjoy the heck out of it.
    As far as cables are concerned, I've had good luck with my Monster Cables over the years and they're fairly inexpensive. You can pick them up at [​IMG] Best Buy pretty cheap.
    Good luck and once again, Welcome [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] "See the world on the wings of rock and roll"
    [Edited last by Kevin Potts on August 01, 2001 at 04:34 PM]

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Welcome to the forum!! HTF is my favorite forum on the net. Hope you enjoy it too.
    As for your speaker package, I'd recommend the Energy Take 5 speakers over the Klipschs. If you're more into music though, Klipsch has reputation for making great musical speakers. My Uncle has the Quintents and to be honest, I wasn't all that impressed with them, but at the price you found them at it's still a decent buy.
    The Energy Take 5 is $299 at www.wholesaleconnection.com . They also sell the matching ESL 8 sub for $199. Not sure about the shipping costs.
    Good luck!
    EDIT: For the cables, people have been giving great reviews for www.bettercables.com & www.kustomkables.com . They are said to be the best bang-per-buck cables.
    [Edited last by Scott L on August 01, 2001 at 05:01 PM]

4. JamesMartin

JamesMartin Extra

Hey thanks for the welcome.
    I am really excited about getting this set up. I auditioned the Take 5 system along with the Klipsch Quintets and a couple of Polk sets, sony, Bose [​IMG], Yamaha, JBL, etc. For the money I kept comming back to the Take 5 and the Quintets. I do listen to alot of music and that is very important to me so I guess that might be why the Klipsch's sounded better to me or maybe I am just a "horn lover" as someone on this board put it.
    I also auditioned alot of receivers and for 400.00, I could not find a better receiver for that price. I heard some people on this board ot the TX-DS595 for 359.00 from www.jandr.com but I called them and they quoted me 400.00 so I called www.vanns.com and they priced matched it with free shipping so all is well. I almost got the TX-DS-575x because I could find it for 260.00 but I went with the 595 cause it is the newests model and it also has PLII. People of this board have alot to say about that receiver. I can't wait to hook it all up and tell you what I think.
    Well thanks for listening
    JamesMartin