Newbie Help

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by packfill, Aug 31, 2006.

1. packfill

packfill Auditioning

Okay, just got a new plasma... and heres my question...

The phillips plasma I bought has attached speakers that are pretty good. I have a older Bose Acoustamass Speaker System (actually two for front and rear) I wanted to use both the Bose System and the built in speakers for the front channel, so I hooked the Directv box to the TV using the component 1 output n the reciever and hooked the component 2 output to my AV amp and out to the Bose system... the problem is, I get a delay, in one of them, so if I use both volumes it sounds as if I am in a stadium.... pretty bad... what are my options???

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Hey Jim. Welcome to HTF!

First - mixing speakers tends to not be a good idea. The receiver cannot control the volume level on all of them like it wants to, and you often get large tonal-shifts if sounds move across the 3 front speakers. And you have discovered a 3rd reason: a delay.

Try this: disconnect your rear speakers and use one of them for the center-speaker. Drive all of them from your receiver. Does this solve both the time-delay and echo problem?

If so - go out and pick up a cheap pair of other speakers for the rear. While ideally all 5 speakers should be identical - having the front 3 be the same is a lot more important than having all 5 be the same.

I would suggest you run 2 audio outputs from the DirectTV box:

- The optical/coaxial to the receiver (like you have now)
    - L/R analog straight to the TV speaker input

Use the TV speakers for casual TV watching.

Turn down the TV volume and fire up the receiver for more serious movie/TV viewing in 5.1.

Thats what I would do (and the way I have my system rigged as well).

Hope this helps.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Jim,

Just wanted to take this opportunity to welcome you here!

I hope you find all the answers you are looking for. Glad to see
    one of our Admins has been helpful to you thus far.

4. packfill

packfill Auditioning

I think maybe I didnt make my self clear enough... I have two seperate Accoutmass systems, identical, but one for the front with 3 channels and one for the rear with two... I understand how to hook this up, but was hoping to use the plasmas speakers as well... I do, however, understand the second part of this message, which explains that I should use the receiver for "serious" viewing and the TV for casual... That is what I will do...

I have the DirectTV 5 lnb dish and the HR-20 being installed on the 15th... I think I will make all the changes, then...

Thanks a ton for your response and welcoming posts... MANY years ago I was gainfully employed in this industry (bose) but now I find myself catching up with the new technology...

5. packfill

packfill Auditioning

Okay, MORE QUESTIONS... first some info...

I have an (older) Denon AVC-3030, actually it is a pretty rockin receiver... It has speaker outputs for A, B, center (either a pair or single) and rear... I want to hook up a powered subwoofer, and be able to run the rear the rear speaks as either rear, for video, or B for audio... ALso I have outdoor speakers...here is my plan?

From the speaker A output, hook up a speaker selector and run both the A channel speakers and the outdoor speakers... Run BOTH the B speaker output and the Rear outputs to an amp selector and choose "B amp or Rear Amp" for audio (music) or movies, respecively...

Assuming this makes sense... I now need to hook up the powered sub, which is quite a long run... over the ceiling and across the room (30feet?) I THINK I only have one option? Hook the sub to an available speaker output on the speaker selector from A channel?

Okay, one more question... The back of my recever has rca jacks labled... Front preout, main in, center preout and rear preout... Currently only the front preout is hooked to the main in... if I disconnect them, no sound... but the center and rear preouts are connected to nothing and "seem" t work....

Thanx in advance for any help!!

6. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Cinematographer

Al
    As far as the center channel question goes, I think the only way to do this is to use the dedicated "center channel" inputs on your TV/monitor. This input bypasses the amplifier. Otherwise you're trying to use two amps concurrently and they'll nver be in sync.

As for the rest, I'm not an expert, but it appears you're trying to use a surround system as a 5.1 system. I don't think you're going to have a lot of luck in this experiment. The Dennon is too good to waste, consider just using it as your audio system and get an inexpensive HT 5.1 receiver for the home theater.