Newbie help???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DavidRD, Jan 10, 2006.

1. DavidRD

DavidRD Auditioning

Hello, I'm David and I'm a complete newbie to home theatre.

This being said have been reading this forum for about a year on and off and I'm almost ready to purchase (ie: I have almost saved enough money)
    I would like a system as unobtrusive as possible but still sound pretty good.
    Here is what I have picked out...please feel free to make a recommendation if something I have choosen doesn't make sense.

Studio 20 x 4
    B&W Center LCR60 S3
    SVS 20-39 PCi
    Pioneer VSX-74TXVi

Tell me what you think. I picked the small center channel as I'm limited to 18" by the piece of furniture it is going into. The room is around 20x32 with 8' ceilings, the television (Samsung 50" DLP) is about 14 feet from the seating area. This system will be used for home theater with very little music play.

2. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Your center channel should be from the same brand and line as your front speakers. Dont get paradigm mains and a B&W center.

Everything else looks great.

3. DavidRD

DavidRD Auditioning

I was afraid of that. I would really like to get a Paradigm center but they don't make one small enough.
    What B&W's do you recommend?

4. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

Have you gone out and listened to these speakers or are you buying based purly on reviews? If your fine with spending the kind of money you are considering without even seeing these things in person, thats awsome. Hell, I did the same thing with my speakers, granted i spent much less than you are looking to spend. But, If I were to do it over again (and i will), I would spend alot of time auditioning, seeing, touching LISTENING to these speakers in person to ensure that I will be 100% satisfied with my purchase. But, to answer you question anyway..

"What B&W's do you recommend?"

I dont have much experience with B&W, Ive only ever listened to an older bookshelf model, (the specific number i dont recall) but generally, if you are set on a brand I would just say the most expensive ones that fit your budget.

5. DavidRD

DavidRD Auditioning

Actually, the auditioning that you mentioned is exactly why I wanted to go with the Paradigms. There is a dealer that has these speakers on display so I had a chance to listen to them and the 40's. And, of course it is a plus that I can pick them up locally.
    I wish Paradigm made a smaller center channel.

6. DavidSGT

DavidSGT Stunt Coordinator

Hiya DavidRD,

Sorry correct me if I'm wrong here but I thought the Paradigm cc70 is not that big? But it might not match the studios for your fronts thou', but then again I guess it would be better than a different brand altogether.
    A suggestion here, can't you have your center on a stand in front and under the screen of your display pointing to your sweet spot, I know cosmetically, it will be hard to convince your sweet young thing (or your better half in the house) about this...

Regards.
    David SGT

7. DavidRD

DavidRD Auditioning

I think the wife would deffinately nix the idea of having a stand with a speaker on it sitting in front of the TV. This and my 18 month old would rip it down and throw it across the room.

I have been looking at the Axiom speakers. I have read several good reviews on this site...what do you think/recommend in this line?

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Look at the B&W 600 series. They are very good speakers that would match your center. However, I would highly suggest you consider the LCR600 instead of the LCR60 as there is a pretty big difference in sound quality. However, I'm not sure how much larger the LCR600 is.

You could get the M50's or M60's up front and the M22's for the surrounds. I'm guessing you'd have to go with the VP100 for center due to size.

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    David,

I guess it’s the CC470’s length that’s a problem? That’s the only dimension that’s larger than 18”. If so, get another Studio 20 and turn it on its side.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt