Newbie Help with receiver/cable connections

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Devin, Jul 15, 2003.

1. Devin

Devin Auditioning

Hello-

I apologize in advance if this is a silly question but is there a simple way to feed my cable signal (F-pin coax) to my receiver? I don't use a cable box so the coax goes straight into my tv, but I would like to split the sound off and send it to my receiver, which has nothing but digital and RCA connections. Are there adapters that split the coax signal into audio/video RCA?

Also, I may replace my tv with a projector - if I can convert that coax signal, then I could send the video to the receiver and then on to the projector, no?

Thanks for any help in this matter!

Devin

2. JamieS

JamieS Stunt Coordinator

Does your TV have output jacks (RCA red and white plugs usually) on the back? If so you can just plug those from your TV into the reciever. If your TV has only a coax input you are basically out of luck. The signal from the coax is RF it needs a tuner to convert it. Either cable box or TV.

I could be wong but if you get a projector you HVAE to get a cable box of some kind to feed a vedio signal out to either the reciever (and then to projector) or directily to projector).

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

No, I'm afraid you cannot hook the CATV directly to the receiver.

The CATV coax contains ALL channels encoded in RF signals. You need a tuner (channel changer) like a VCR or television to break-out one channel into video & audio.

Either order a cable box or pick up a inexpensive stereo VCR.