What's new

Newbie help with home tv/theater setup (1 Viewer)

KaseyB

Auditioning
I currrently have a Phillips widescreen 55" hdtv ready tv which I bought approx. 1 year ago. It is the newer model type which is silver in color with the speakers below the screen. It is hdtv ready but I have no hdtv receiver yet. What I have connected to it is a tivo/directv combo unit and a regular dvd player (non progressive). What I am asking for is advice on upgrading my current setup. I want to be able to view hdtv programming and progressive dvds. What do you recommend? I hear tivo is coming out with a tivo/directv/hdtv combo receiver at years end and sounds like that would be a good choice for me, anyone know approx value of this? As for dvd player I would like a progressive dvd player with am/fm tuner to be able to listen to radio, which do you recommend? Also I know many of these setups come with 5 speakers, but do I really need that since I already have speakers connected on tv? Also if i just bought the dvd/tuner receiver and no speakers and connected to my tv speakers, would my tv have to be on to listen to am/fm tuner? Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks..

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member

The internal speakers of an RPTV are connected directly to the internal amplifier; they are not equipped with binding posts on the rear of the cabinet the way dedicated speakers are.

Good luck, and welcome to HTF.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
do you have a budget? it sounds to me like you have the tv, but could use a progressive dvd and/or a ht audio system. it doesn't sound like you have any sort of 5.1 sound system?

personally, if i could only have one or the other, i'd take the audio system. there is nothing quite like having a dedicated receiver pumping sound to five speakers and a sub. i know it will significantly add to your ht experience.

a progressive dvd player will certainy increase your picture clarity, but i still say audio should come first since you already have a decent tv and dvd player.

let me know if going audio sounds good to you. we can then discuss other options. ;)

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hear tivo is coming out with a tivo/directv/hdtv combo receiver at years end and sounds like that would be a good choice for me, anyone know approx value of this?
The current rumor over at Tivo Community is that the HD DirecTivo will be available early 2004. It will have 2 ATSC HD tuners and 2 HD satellite tuners but it will only be able to record two data streams at a time. It will come standard with a 250GB drive which will give you around 25-30 hours of HD recording, 180 hours of SD sat recording or a combination of both. The rumored price is around $800. And let me add that none of this is official word from DirecTV, Tivo or Hughes.

-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks