What's new

Newbie - help w/center channel (1 Viewer)

Atticus

Auditioning
Hey, y'all:

My boss recently gave me his old-ish Denon 5.1 Pro Logic receiver (AVR-800) and 27" Mitsu TV (newborn trumps A/V, sadly). I hooked it up to my existing Cambridge Soundworks Ensemble speakers (front) and subwoofer, and recently purchased CS MC50s for the rear and a CS Centerstage center channel. Everything sounds fine until I connect the center channel speaker, whereupon the left-side audio is almost completely killed. Barely audible, even with the master volume cranked and the balance turned all the way to the left. As soon as I disconnect the center channel, sound levels on the left channel return to normal.

What gives? Is the Denon not powerful enough to drive the Centerstage? Am I missing a setting? As far as I know, all of the speakers are connected properly to the proper inputs. I write "as far as I know" because I really don't know what the hell I'm doing. I don't have a manual for the Denon, which contains all sorts of mysterious options for VDP/DBS, etc., and I'm a computer geek, dangit, not an audio geek (yet).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Atticus

PS--feel free to laugh at my expense.

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Check to see if you're shorting across the center and left channel terminals. Maybe you have some stray strands from the speaker wire just brushing the other terminal or something...

Bernie_A

Stunt Coordinator
We're not laughing at all.....seriously, I second Philip's suggestion and also check the polarity of the speakers as well. Let us know if this helps.

Atticus

Auditioning
Thanks for the advice, guys. I re-checked the front, center, and rear connections, made sure nothing was crossed, reseated a couple, and now all is working.

Surround ROCKS. Not sure how I lived without it. :)

Peace,
Atticus

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks