Newbie help request

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Patrick_Mc, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Patrick_Mc

Patrick_Mc Auditioning

I just found this forum and I have to say there is some great information here, even if most of it is over my head. I am just starting the process of putting together a home entertainment system, which is something I have never attempted before. The following is what I currently own:

Video Equipment:
    TV: Samsung 43 DLP
    DVD: Samsung DVD HD941
    Cable: SA 8300HD
    DVI Switcher: 2x1 HDTV Switcher

With the above-mentioned equipment I am getting amazing picture quality, however when it comes to audio what I currently own is horrid. Even my wife says that we have to do something about the poor sound.

Audio Equipment:
    Reciever: Technics SA-GX690
    Floor Speakers: KLH SA3X
    Center Speaker: KLH 2410
    Left rear channel: KLH 2410
    Right rear channel: KLH 2410

I want to replace the receiver and speakers however I am at a loss as to what look for. We do not have a dedicated TV room instead we have a grand room where we do all of our TV viewing. We want to use the entertainment system to do the following:

- listen to Music from a small form factor PC that is connected to the TV and hopefully connected to the new receiver
    - watch sports, HD movies, normal TV programs DVD’s pretty much in that order
    - utilize the optical audio connections that are on our cable box and dvd player
    - use one programmable remote, wifes ‘request’

I have a budget of 2,500 including wiring for the receiver and speakers. About the only things I am sure is I want to purchase the individual components, instead of a HTIB it just seems that by doing that I should get a better quality system. I am honestly at a lost as to how to begin figuring what to buy first and what manufactures I should look at.

Thanks

2. John S

John S Producer

Dang nice budget. Your going to get tons of suggestion on specific make and models here for sure.

This is one, where you will end up just haing to do your home work. To assure yourself you got the best for your money.

I think I would start out by, getting the nicest AVR and Subwoofer I could possibly afford, and see how that sounds with your existing speakers. Then see where you need to go from there. Your current speakers once relieved of sub frequency duties will probably be more than fine for you.

Something like a Denon 3805 and a CHT-15 Velodyne sub would probably have you realy happy using your existing speakers.

I use a Denon 4802, CHT-15 Veldyne Sub, and use JBL S38's for every speaker in the system. I'm calling it done, completely happy going on more than 2 years now with it setup this way, and have no urges to change a thing.

best of luck with it all.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome to Home Theater Forum, Patrick.

Since you are asking for specific model recommendations for a complete system, I've moved your thread to here, A/V Sources (which is where we put, for now, questions about complete systems). The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for specific advice about what to purchase.

If you have any questions, please send me a private message. Thanks!

4. Patrick_Mc

Patrick_Mc Auditioning

Thank you for your reply. I will start my search with the Denon 3805 receiver and the CHT-15 Velodyne sub.

Thanks